Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

my two win98 machine no longer link

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssga

Technical User
Jun 21, 2002
ZA
I've got two PCs both running win98 1st edition. They are both using SMC network adaptors and a cross over cable linking them. I'm using Client for MS Networks,IPX,TCI/IP and Netbeui. I set IP address for each 192.168.0.1 for the first PC and 192.168.0.2 for the second PC both have the same subset which is 255.255.255.0 they both have different names and the same workgroup. It has always work perfectly with internet and file sharing and network games. Now they no longer see each other. I've tried pinging each maching from its self and both PCs can them selves but not each other. And each PC can ping it network adaptor. Is it possible that the crossover cable has become faulty. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

unless you have changed any setting or installed any network related software, your chief suspects are your network cards or as you say, the cable.

Unless the network cable has been tugged or knocked about it's more likely the cards, although unplug the cable and check the connectors on the cable to be sure.

In your situation I would try and get hold of a spare network card and replace one of the PC's cards with it. If that doesnt work then put the card in the other machine.

Thats what I would do personally anyhow :)

Grenage is correct, but let me add some more.

When you ping you own PC, make sure that you ping the IP address assigned to the card, and not the 127.0.0.1 loopback
address.

Information that I have received during my studies, states that pinging 127.0.0.1 loopback doesn't go through the entire OSI layer, is just goes as far as the data layer and back up.

Pinging you entire IP address assigned to the NIC card, ensures that the ping packet travels all the way to the NIC card, and that the IP is truely binded to the card. And for that matter if the IP is not binded, you can say that the NIC card is bad.

It's my two cents for that matter, hope is helps some.

/ase

Are you running Win98 SE?

Have you tried removing all but NetBEUI?

Have you thought about a cheapo 10/100 hub instead of a X-over cable?

You can also trying to swap out a NIC and see if that improves matters.

Sometimes with Win95-98 the only way to get them seeing each other is to remove all from network neighborhood properites, restart, then put them in again. You can have one PC as master browser (LM Announce=YES and the on the other PC LM Announce = No) instead of Auto.

Just some things to try....

Cable's must be checked before you start diagnostics.

When I networked my pc's I had bad cabling problem which gave an unreliable network. But now everything works a treat. Always use netbui as well as TCP/IP as the protocols.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back