Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

My TDK External CD-Burner is not working properly6 : (

Status
Not open for further replies.

stfu1127

Technical User
Jun 8, 2004
US
Whenever I try to use the Nero Ahead Software on my external cd burner on my Dell Windows ME for music or pictures, the drop down arrow for disk drives to send the data to has "Image Recorder" as the only choice. I hit next and select all the files I want to add, and when I am finished picking my files I hit "Burn" and it asks what file I want to save the "Image" as. If I hit "Cancel" it closes out of my current project and I repeat the whole proccess I just described. If I hit "OK" it saves the file "Image" and goes to the next step of the burn proccess. It says it is copying and it finishes after 100% but when I take out the CD it is completely blank. (I use CD-R's by the way, just incase that's any help.) I have already uninstalled and reinstalled the Nero Ahead Software three times. I have the same exact problem with the other optional software on the software disc like Digital MixMaster.

the image recorder just creates a image of what you want to burn on hdd, its not burning a cd.
it seems your burner isnt recognised by nero. is it in me (device manager/explorer)
how is burner connected (usb1/2,firewire...).
can you read any cd in it?

I am using Nero 5.0, my CPU only has 2 USB ports, so I use one port for my cable modem and another for an adapter that allows me to have 4 more USB ports. My printer, camera, and cd burner are all hooked up to this adapter. My CD Burner always worked properly and I always used it but one day it just started doing this. The USB adapter is 2.0

printer and camera are working?
have you tried another port on usb-hub.
check device manager for conflicts.

My printer and camera work.
I downloaded the patch but it didn't help.
I switched around the different connections to the USB ports and that didn't help either.
The icon for my CD burner drive used to always be in "My Computer" with my regular CD drive and C: but it's not there.
I used the "Refresh" button on my Device Manager and that also didn't help.

Do you have power connected to the burner?

Jim

Yes, it's all plugged in and I can open and close the disc tray.

Perhaps I should just use the extra disc drive as a cup holder instead of fixing it...

Try another USB cable and if that isn't it, the burner may just have gone bad.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back