Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

My software has been developed in V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pipemillman

Programmer
Mar 25, 2019
NO
My software has been developed in VB6 over 20 years and still usually runs fine in all Windows platforms.

Recently the software has suffered number format problems on wide format screens in particular, even though the presented screen is not full size.

The problem is that the font size, which is nearly always 8 seems to be dropped and defaults to 11 or 12, consequently screen text and number blocks over-run and cannot be read. If I go into the source and simply re-specify '8' for example it appears correctly at the next compile.

Is there a known fix for this ? Do I have to re-specify all my alphas and numeric screen fields ? Possibly a global one-liner ?
Any help much appreciated.

Regards,
Ian

The change is likely due to users having varied font sizes defined in the Windows Control Panel. As newer monitors typically have a higher dot pitch, users increase the size of text to be more readable.

My employer uses an old program like this that does not only suffer from resized text. Some controls (buttons, checkboxes) might also be shifted outside of the form. We'd fix it if we still had the source...so instead we just tell our users to keep text displayed in the system at 100%.

Improving the high-DPI experience in GDI based Desktop Apps

It would be great if everything could just be updated, but many popular applications were written before there was graphics API support for high DPI screens, and they do not have any native support for handling changes to scale. GDI Scaling is an effort to address this problem by transparently scaling graphics for the app.

For many applications GDI Scaling can handle the problem completely or at least well enough for old programs to be usable.

It can be specified via a manifest or the Compatibility tab of the EXE's Explorer Properties dialog. This became available in Windows 10 version 1703 so we've had it for about 2 years now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back