Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

My sister's PC refuses to work!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrPookieGSU

Technical User
Oct 7, 2004
US
Hello,

My sister's (ex-)boyfriend completely overhauled her PC about a year ago, and this summer it died. It has an ECS K75SA motherboard with with an Athlon 1800 (I think) and 256MB RAM. At first, the PC would power on; there would be a click and burning smell; then, it would turn itself off. I noticed the video card fan was dying/dead, so I replaced the video card - no change. I tried replacing the 250W power supply with a 300W power supply, and it did the same thing. Then, I replaced the motherboard and CPU. Now, it doesn't click and power itself off, but it does not boot up either, so we returned the board to the store. Also, one of her hard drives is dead (makes horrible clicking noises if plugged in). I have tried booting the system with NOTHING plugged in, and I get the same results. Please help with any suggestions. Is it possible for the problem to be the case!?

Mr Pookie

I had difficulty following all that but my understanding is that you now have a new Motherboard, processor and power supply.

When you turn on the PC with only the Motherboard (and processor) connected, what happens? Do you get any beeps from the motherboard?

Please confirm that my understanding is correct.

regards: tf1

Sorry for the never-ending paragraph. Actually, we tried a new motherboard, and it didn't work, so we returned it.

With both that motherboard and the new one, nothing happens. It powers up. That is all (no beep, no display).

With the old one (currently installed), it powers up, and powers off. Does that help with your diagnosis?

-How long does it stay powered on for?
-Can you hear any chatter on the hard drives when it's powered up?
-Did you locate any burnt components, as you smelled a burning smell?
-Could the monitor be toast, does it work in a different machine?
-Did you try disconnecting everything but the essential components to boot up?
-Did you check that all cables are connected correctly? (red stripe on power side of IDE, etc)
-Is the reset button connected? Could it be connected wrong? Try disconnecting it completely from the motherboard and see if this solves the problem, could be a sticking switch..

C

That doesn't sound too promising as POST (motherboard, Power On Self Test) isn't starting. If this is with everything disconnected completely and only the Motherboard, Processor and Power Supply are installed, it means either the motherboard, power supply or both are faulty.

The only other (slight) possibility is that you have the CMOS reset link in the reset position.

Sorry not to be more help: tf1

oh -- make sure your CPU fan is connected properly. Sometimes this toasts things too

Thanks Chris, but I've checked/tried everything you said with the same results.

With the old motherboard, it stays on less than 5 seconds with no beeps. Also, there is no HD chatter, and I have not located any burned components.

I haven't tried the monitor on another system, but it does display the check cable message when unplugged from the computer.

tf1, I've tried the CMOS jumper in both positions. In the clear posistion, the system would not power on.

I think I've tried evertything that would logically affect this, guys. The only thing left is the case. . . which doesn't make much sense.

Mr Pookie

if your motherboard isn't set properly and shorting on the case that could be the problem.

Your heatsink is fitted 180degrees out?
Now before you right the idea off check!!
The recess in the base of the heatsink must be positioned so it is over the raised cam box of the socket otherwise it fouls preventing proper contact between CPU and heatsink base.
Absolutely must use thermal paste or pad.
I'm guessing the smell was the CPU burning so likely a right off!
Otherwise the power supply but you already said you changed that?
Lastly although obvious, the CPU fan must be attached to the CPU header pin outs, the motherboard needs to sense a spinning fan on this header or shuts the PC down usually after just a few seconds.
Also some older socket A boards like the K7S5A don't like the slow spinning 80mm fans fitted to many modern heatsink/fan units again shutting the system down after just a few seconds.
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Thanks paparazi, but I've tried all of those things. As far as the fan spinning slowly goes, the PC was fine for about a year before this all started, and I've even tried a different CPU fan. Any other ideas?

Also, 110 . . . binary guy, I'll have to check the mounting in the case next time I'm at her house.

Thanks

I think that the original 250W power went bad, taking out the motherboard and who knows what other components with it.

Your say the original motherboard stays on less than 5 seconds. Then you said "... I replaced the motherboard and CPU. Now, it doesn't click and power itself off...". And in a later post "With the old one (currently installed), it powers up, and powers off." I think that pretty much says the original motherboard has a short, either to the case or internal to the board itself.

Try the board outside the case. If it still won't stay powered on, chuck it and get a new one. From there you'll have to build up slowly to figure out what other components were taken out.

Thanks. The guy who originally performed the upgrade is now in charge of fixing it. If he doesn't get any results, I'll try a different case.

I agree with Paparazi,
When the smell of something burning, it's either the motherboard going haywire, or there is no thermal connection between the heatsink and the CPU, the Thermal paste is not just as coolant, but also as a no conductor. Because when the CPU is running, the CPU generates a lot of heat and after that, it will try to burn through anything. But with the thermal paste, it keeps it from burning and fusing with the heatsink. I would recomment that you should take a look at the CPU, and see if there are any parts of the CPU that has been scolded with heat, especially the front.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back