Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

My second Harddrive is not working. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

finalcross

Technical User
Apr 1, 2004
US
I have 2 harddrives in my computer. A SATA 120gig and a IDE 20 gig. My SATA one works fine with windows installed in it. However, my IDE does not work. When ever its pluged in and I boot up the computer, I get an error message, Missing NTDLRA(not sure of excat name) Press CTRL+ALT+DLE to reboot. When ever I dont have my IDE pluged in, Windows start up fine.

What is wrong and how can I fix this.....Thanks for your time!

Hmm OK

First of all, is your IDE hdd set as master or slave, or cable select... make sure that if you SATA is your primary drive, you have your IDE as slave (secondary drive). For this change the pin setting on the back of your IDE hdd. If you don't know how to do this, there is either a diagram on the harddisk, or you can find the diagram on the net using your HDD partnumber. Second, boot your PC and enter your Bios -delete or Fsomething. Check the bootup sequence and make sure it is in accordance with your SATA being primary and your IDE being secondary.

Try that and get back to us

Good luck

Ok, thanks a lot. I didnt have to swich it to a slave because I had 2 different typs of HD. My BIOS had the other HD boot up first the whole time...I thought it was different. THanks for all your help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back