Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

My screen is frozen! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rebayona

Technical User
Oct 22, 2001
CO
Hi, I'm using Redhat 7.1 with gnome, and I was logged on, and two hours later I saw the login screen. That was weird, (I didn't logged out) but I tried to log in again and I only can see a grey screen and and X (the mouse pointer), but nothing else. The pointer moves, but nothing works, I've tried a lot of keystrokes (maybe I can kill X-window and re-start it from the command prompt?) without any result.

I guess there was some problem with the RAM memory, and it crashed. Before I turn the server off, is there something I can do?

P.S. The server is running fine, I just can´t work on it ...

Somebody told me to CTRL-ALT-BKSPACE and it worked!

Just wanted to share it, in case somebody needs the answer for this question in the future....

Thanks for sharing rebayona, it's much appreciated.

-a5k

You deserve a star for posting the solution to your problem so that someone in the same circumsance can benifit. It's great to see.

<CTRL>+<ALT>+<BACKSPACE> will kill X and I believe it is enabled unless specificaly disabled on most distros. [smurf]

Hi,
I also have rh 7.1 with gnome and have lost my desktop icons. However If I click on start-> file manager in the taskbar they all return. How can I get the default desktop back? Anybody...

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back