Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

my program is slowing down whole system... how can i stop it

Status
Not open for further replies.

badsilver696

Vendor
Nov 16, 2006
US
i have recently encounter a problem , everytime i try to minimize a program the whole system slows down , i notice that everytime i do this my cpu usage goes to 100% i can see its performace using the task manager, the memory usage also goes up and once the program is minimize, everything will change back to normal but if i open the program again it will slow down the whole system, i have a 384 memory install in my system its acting like it's not using the whole memory or something is slowing it down, can i change the setting 's for memory usage...

Actually your problem sounds like a virtual memory problem! I'll bet if you watch yor pc you'll notice alot of disk activity when you minimize. This is the program writing to the hard drive to free up memory...hence you notice the speed increase once the system has stabilized after minimizing. Through 384 meg ram sounds like alot but it may not be enough. It depends on the which OS you're running, what's installed, spyware, badly written programs, hardware issues....etc!

Several solutions could help your situation:

1 Check for updates to the offending program
2 Run a good spyware program, hitman pro (freeware) comes to mind
3 defrag your hard
4 check for unnecessary programs at startup, Mike Lin's makes some good freeware programs that control this
5 add more ram 512 meg to 1 gig should be minimum today

There are still more things you can do but these should be a good starting place. If these are beyond your expertise with computers ask a friend or take it to a reputable pc builder/repair shop.

Cheers

Just an FYI that the suggestion to add at least 512MB of RAM or more heavily depends on the operating system. You don't necessarily want to in older OS's like Windows 98 for example.

Also, when you ask this type of question, give us a good description of your system's specs (CPU, motherboard, etc). It would also help in this case to know the "name" of the program.

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Look at your task manager and see what is taking all the processor time. Then do a search on google to see if that process is malware. Be carefull that sometimes malware has a very similiar name as good processes. Such as isass.exe and lsass.exe . One is a trogen, the other is a normal windows process.

orypecos,
You too are making an assumption that the operating system is Windows 2000 or XP. We just don't know that yet. If it is an older OS, task manager is going to look a lot different (no CPU Usage column). Also, you won't see lsass listed.

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

What is the operating system that U are using and what is the program that is using all the cpu time?

orypecos,
I am not the one who is having the problem. I've already asked badsilver696 to tell us that.

~cdogg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back