Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

my pentium 4 is not recognizing the external dvd burner

Status
Not open for further replies.

porabai

Programmer
Jan 24, 2003
CA
Hello All,

i have assembled Pentium 4 bought 1 1/2 years ago. I recently bought an LG external dvd burner(RW). while plugging the dvd burner to the usb ports my system is recognizing the external dvd burner. i tried the same on pc @ work and its recognizing the new hardware. Any clue to what i should do to solve the problem

thanks for your help in advance.

If both systems are recognizing it, then what's the problem?

Sorry for the confusion. Its not recognizing the externaldvd burner.

If the DVD drive came with a driver CD, then install the drivers per the instructions. If there's no driver CD, then check the drive manuf's site for drivers. If there are none, then Windows should have the drivers for it.
See if other USB devices work. If not, then see if the USB controller is listed in Device Manager. If not, then make sure the USB controller is enabled in BIOS. If it is, then it may be bad. You can work around this by installing a USB PCI controller card.
If the USB controller is listed in Dev. Mgr., but the drivers are not installed, then remove it from Dev. Mgr., restart, and let Windows reinstall the drivers.
If the USB controller is listed in Dev. Mgr. and it has no problems, and other USB devices work ok, then do the following:

1/ Click Start

2/ Click Run

3/ In the Run dialogue box type regedit

4/ The registry editor will now open

5/ navigate to the following key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} and look for the Upper Filters value

6/ Right click on the Upper Filter Value and, from the drop down menu click Delete

7/ Next navigate to the following key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} and look for the Lower Filter value

8/ Again Right Click on the Lower Filter Value and, from the drop down menu, click Delete

9/ Finally exit the registry editor and reboot your machine

Actually, here's where ski's info comes from:

[tab]Note: I would delete the entire registry section mentioned while following Method 1 instead
[tab][tab][tab] of hunting for the Upper or Lower filter keys, which are not there for some CD-ROM drives.
[tab][maroon]HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/System/CurrentControlSet/Control/Class/{4d36e965-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}[/maroon]

The advantage of following the MS KB article, is that it also includes instructions on how to backup the key that you are changing/deleting.

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Just a thought. I have had some problems with external hard drives being recognized on some USB2 ports. I've found that they work if connected to A USB port that is mounted on the motherboard but not on one of the remote ports on the front of machines. I think its something to do with the current required and the length of cable from the USB controller to the external device. Maybe there is to great a voltage drop but I havn't measured anything so its only a theory.

I believe the maximum length of a USB cable is somewhere between 18-20 feet before it becomes unreliable. The longest you can usually find in most retails stores is 15 feet, so I don't think that's the issue but an interesting theory nevertheless.

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back