Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

my PDF is too large! HELP!! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tacobear

Technical User
Mar 28, 2006
US
I created my portfolio in InDesign (26 pages of text & graphics), exported it as a PDF and it is 12.3 MB. I'm trying to reduce the size for easy emailing between prospective employers. I tried to export as an EPS and then use Adobe Distiller to reduce the size, but it actually doubled the size!! What am I doing wrong????? or does anyone have any suggestions? I have the Adobe CS package...

What kind of PDF are you saving it as? Try ebook or screen.

26 pages of graphics is probably going to give you a big file.

The idea of a portfolio is to show your best work, not everything you ever did. I'd say give them a teaser - maybe 5 pieces. THen say you'd be happy to show them more in an interview. That way you might actually get an interview. Seeing your whole portfolio without having to meet you is an easy way to screen you out. But if you show them a few pieces and tell them they can meet you to see more, then they can fall in love with your charming personality and hire you on the spot.

{Stepping down off my soapbox now}

Good advice from Lessa. I agree, try ebook. And don't forget you can adjust the image compression manually on the Compression screen when you go to export. And don't make outlines of your text, either. Embed the fonts and subset less than 100%.

Marketing should not be done cheaply. If you compress your PDF too much, the image quality will be poor for review of your work. Consider setting up a portfolio web site. You can get web hosting for under $10/month. Employers can voluntarily review your work without having to bear a large email attachment.

All very good tips. Does the eBook compression decrease print quality? Because some people may print this and circulate it throughout their office...What about using Distiller? When and how should I use that? Many thanks in advance.

Ebook quality does reduce print quality because it's meant to be read from screen. Same with Screen quality.

Try one thing. Open the 28 meg pdf in Acrobat - full or pro - and go to File menu/Reduce File Size. This will remove a lot of duplicate code stuff with little degradation in the quality. Depending on what's in the pdf you can get a dramatic or not dramatic reduction.

Using OSX 10.3.9 on a G4

go to File menu/Reduce File Size. This will remove a lot of duplicate code stuff
Nice, I never knew that. Just tried it and got a 6mb file down to 300kb...! Well deserving of a star!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back