Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

My PDC work out

Status
Not open for further replies.

evil76

Technical User
Sep 18, 2003
ES

Hello,

I have a PDC and a BDC on my net, my PDC its getting older and i am trying to change it, i replicate the Active Directory from my BDC and then i take out of my network, putting it in a new network with my new PDC, then i execute dcpromo on the new PDC, saying that it was secondary fron an AD, it was all ok till here. Now i am trying to create a user and my AD returns me an error saying it was not a Global catalog. The new PDC, has the same name and IP that the old one, but i couldn't stand it up.
Someone can help me to do this operation.

Thanks
Sorry my english.
DAVID

Need more info. There are no pdc's or bdc's on a pure w2k network. Are you in mixed mode with nt and w2k or pure w2k? If I understand what you've done, you switched one machine for a primary to the other. You need to move the global catalouge to make it the main machine.

Glen A. Johnson
"Fall seven times, stand up eight."
Proverb

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884

I have a primary server and a secondary backup server, one is the master from AD and the backup is the secondary.
I buy a new computer to replace my primary server. And i want to made it at once, not to remove and add all machines to the AD. My first idea was to turn out the secondary server from my net and introduce it in a new network with the new computer (which i had install with the same name and IP of the other), then i made a dcpromo from this new computer to get the AD of the secondary server and now i am here. I am trying to made work the new primary but it doesn't work fine, i try to add a user on the AD and return me an error saying than it was not a Global Catalog.

HELP!!!! How can i do this operation???

DAVID

Take the new server offline. Bring the original server backonline. Reburn new server, give it a new name. Add it to the domain, run dcpromo, move the 5 fsmo roles to the new server, take the old server offline

I dont understand the answer.
now the new one has the same name, then i have to depromocionate it to change the name, you say me it?
and i dont know what is 5 fsmo roles...
Can you explain me it with more details, i am lost.

Thanks
DAVID

The reason i was having you reburn the new machine is you need to have the original server and the new server online at the same time and you can not have two pc's with the same name on the same domain. The reason you were having issues is in AD there are five fsmo roles (flexible single master operations). With NT there was a PDC, single master server, so most updates had to be done on the PDC, it held the master copy of everything. In AD to make life easier it is a multi master system. Most changes can be made from any domain controller. There are five roles that are setup so one particular server is the master for that role, including PDC emulator and schema master for example. When you setup your first DC in the domain, all FSMO roles are assigned to that original server. What I was telling you to do is bring the original server back online and transfer the roles to another server.

The following microsoft q article will help you transfer the roles:

Ok.
The problem is that i want that the new server name were the same that the oder... how can made it up if i have other name in the new machine.
Can I turn on the secondary with the old server... tranfer fsmo, them turn on the new server, with the secondary and tranfer it again?? (if i do this i think i dont have to rebuild the server name)

DAVID

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back