Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

My PC won't go off

Status
Not open for further replies.

javierdlm001

Technical User
Jun 28, 2008
CA
Last month I got an Acer Predator G3-710.
Everything has been ok.
But last night it wouldn't go to sleep. Since that didn't work, I turned it off, but it would not. Finally I had to force it to do so manually, plus I unplugged the power cable too.

What could it be the reason?
Most importantly, what should I do?

Thanks guys,

JDL

How many times has this happened? Was the computer frozen when you forced it off, or did the keyboard / mouse work? Any errors on the screen?

How long did you press the power off button. On mine you have to hold it for more then 7 seconds for it to power off. The default is to do a graceful shutdown.

Bill
Lead Application Developer
New York State, USA

If you boot it in to Safe Mode will it then Shutdown correctly from Safe Mode?

If you can Shutdown in Safe Mode then try isolating a cause to your problem via a Clean Boot.

How to start Windows 8, or 10, in Safe Mode

How to perform a clean boot in Windows

How to perform a clean boot to troubleshoot a problem in Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8, or Windows 10.

What was the last program, or update, that you installed prior to the problem surfacing?

What could it be the reason?

What BitTorrent protocol client are you running?

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.
Webmaster Forum

guitarzan,
It happened last night for the first time. I just successfully put it to sleep (it wasn't doing that last night).
It didn't freeze. Mouse & keyboard were working. No errors of any kind.

Beilstwh,
I guess something like 5 secs.

linney,
If this happens again I'll follow up with the Secure boot, thanks :)

ChrisHirst,
How can I tell?

Try this link see if an application starts up to open the file.

It's legal by the way, a Linux Mint ISO. Of course you may not have a BT client installed, it is simply that BT clients do normally prevent machine 'sleeping' if tasks are active.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.
Webmaster Forum

I finally tried the Secure Boot.
Basically just confirmed that once in SB, I was able to turn it off in a normal way. Which was good. But I didn't purposely fix anything. Yet, things are working now!
Thanks for that Linney! :)

Thanks for sharing Chris :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back