Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

My PC is trying to access another PC thru 1434. Why? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

kempis555

Programmer
Jan 2, 2001
Hi all,

I'm a developer with a local SQL2000 server running, I recently saw my memory getting eaten up by SQL and assumed it was the old Slammer virus. (My SQL server had no service packs installed.)

I installed the latest SP4 for x86, and the SQL server is ok now, except that a co-worker's touchy firewall is complaining that my computer is trying to access his computer through port 1434 UDP.

I've run two different virus checkers and a tool specifically made to remove slammer, they all say that there is no virus.

I've also tried to install SP4 for MSDE, but I don't know what that is, and the installer said "Invalid Instance" and quit. I assume that I don't have that on my computer.

BTW, another co-worker also installed sp4 on a similar PC and her computer is also sending 1434 UDP calls to his computer.

I'm starting to wonder if SP4 is making my SQL server strobe the local network for other SQL servers, for it's own stupid reasons. :( Anyone else have this problem or any ideas?

-k

I found the problem myself, it seems that SQL Server Service Manager strobes the network for other servers when it starts... or even when a new IP connection is started (such as starting up the wireless card on a laptop.)

This is normal, the abnormal thing around here is the touchiness of my co-worker's Norton firewall. We're not sure why it suddenly is sensitive to the 1434 queries, though. :(

-k

UPD Port 1434 is used by SQL Server to identify the TCP port that is assigned to the instance that a user is trying to connect to.

For Example:
You have a machine with 3 instances installed.
The default instance listening on port 1433
An instance named INST1 on port 1434
An instance named INST2 on port 1435

When you tell your client to connected to any of the instances (we'll use INST1) it first connects to port UDP 1434 and says I want to connect to INST1. The UDP port will respond and with the TCP port number that you need to connect to. Your client will then connect to that TCP port.

Any time you open your enterprise manager you'll be sending out a mass of UDP requests to find the correct TCP ports for all the SQL Servers that you connect to. This is done becuase SQL Server supports dynamic port assignments where it will simply grab the first available TCP port (99.999% of people don't do this, but it is an option) so the status UDP port is used to find the correct TCP port numbers.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)

[noevil]
(Not quite so old any more.)

thanks.

no prob.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)

[noevil]
(Not quite so old any more.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back