Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

My PC doesn't start. Can anyone help me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

firelex

Programmer
Jan 10, 2002
DE
Hello, all!

My problem is: the PC I have doesn't start. In fact it doesn't start even BIOS. When I push the power button the lamps on CDROM and CDR light short and the hard drive brums for a second. And then it doesn't make any noise more and does nothing. The monitor shows such a message, like "NO SIGNAL". The most curious thing is that I can't switch it off (PC) - the button doesn't switch it off. I've tried to strip it off up to motherboard, videocard, ram, hard drive to figure out the problem - with no success.

Even if I get the videocard out of the slot / unplug hard drive - happens nothing. Normally a PC should start beeping crazy but here happens nothing.

Any ideas?
Thanks

Have you tried changing the RAM modules and/or shorting the BIOS jumper ?

No, I haven't tried to change the RAM. I thought it were something with BIOS.

[tt]shorting the BIOS jumper[/tt] how does it go?

Generally, you have a jumper not far from the battery. If you have you mainboard manual, check which jumper allows you to reset the BIOS.
If you do not have the manual, the safest thing to do is remove the onboard battery and wait a minute, or two.
Of course, before removing the battery, be sure you have grounded yourself, and do not forget to unplug the PC from the mains !

Nasty, sounds like your motherboard has gone. Still it's worth doing the usual routine:

As Pmonett recommends try clearing the motherboard setting by removing the battery for a few minutes or shorting out the correct jumper.

If you have no success here I would remove everything but the memory and processor and try again.

Add your graphics card and try again.

If you have a spare Processor, Power Supply and perhaps some memory it might be worth swapping those out to see if your problem lies here.

Does your computer turn off if you hold down the Power Button for 4 seconds ?

Hope you have some luck.

I've removed the battery for some minutes, change RAM modules - all the same computer doesn't start.
If I hold the "power button" for 4 seconds - the PC turns off.
Now I going to try another processor....

Make sure the reset button is not stuck in. I've seen a lot of bad cases lately with this problem. The buttons were made the wrong size and sometimes stick when the reset button is pushed. The symptoms are much like yours, power comes on, no video, no beeps no mater what you do. Unstuck the button and all was well... If you're going through Hell...keep going... (Winston Churchill)
RocKeRFelLerZ

Let me guess, you tried overclocking it?

Because most Intel chips are clock locked, if you change the settings in BIOS and reboot it will either slow down or not POST.

Most good mobo's reset themself after about 25mins of being turned off, then you go in and put the setting for the CPU back to where it is ment too be.

Or
Have you made sure you have inserted the IDE cables in the right way?

If one connection say IDE Controller(Correct)>Primary masterCorrect> Primary Slave(Inserted wrong) will stop everything from booting as well.

Another thing, you should never try and boot a PC that has no load on the power supply, so you always need a hdd's power plugged in or you can burn out your mobo.

There are alot of ways to burn out your mobo eg: PS/2 devices are not Hot Pluged so don't plug them in while your system is on or say goodbye to your mobo (It can happen but not always)

Steps too try,
#1 Try another CPU
#2 Check Cables
#3 Limit it too just Videocard/Hdd and RAM and try booting
#4 RESET BIOS via jumper OR if not avialable, the battery.

If all else fails try another motherboard and rinse/repeat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back