Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

My other Hard Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

walks

Technical User
May 7, 2001
CA
Ive been posting quite a bit lately, jeepers. Anyways Im having trouble detecting my other Hard Drive in my comp. I had originally had an 8 gig as my primary and a 60 as my primary slave. A couple days ago I had to format my 8 gig drive so I put some files and folders on my 60 hoping it wouldnt be a problem to get them back. However when running Windows I cant access it. The Bios detects it at startup but I get the error message "D:/ is not accessable, a device attached to the system is not functioning."

Ive ran fdisk and it does give me stats for it, also the cables appear fine. I tried accessing it in MS-DOS and I get "general failure reading drive D Abort, Retry, Fail".

Any suggestions how I get this back??? Do I have to reformat my D drive???

yes,try reformatting it but put in mind that ur HD may have been corrupted due to falling down or something like that i can help
mselim2001@yahoo.com

Formatted it but now its only saying the drive is only 7.82 MB, thats not right.

Its reading the drive now but like I said its only showing 8 MB of available space. I went into FDISk and checked the drive and here is what it says. Looks like there is 3 partitions.

Partition 1 is has no status, it says it is NON-DOS and is 43959 mbytes and uses 75%.

Partition 2 has a status of "A", it says its non-dos and is 14653 mbytes and uses 25%.

Partition 3 has non status, is the Primary Dos with 8 mybtyes and a system of FAT12.

Im sure the first two partitions are the space used and not used.

What should I do next??

This may sound obvious but did you check the jumpers in the back of your hd's to make sure the slave and master are selected accordingly ? I have also seen drives that were not happy sharing a computer with certain other brands.

Is there data you need?
If not run fdisk again delete all the partitions one the primary slave and recreate one primary DOS partition. Reboot and try formatting D again.
Note you will lose all data on this drive after doing this.
Regards

Yeah there is data I was hoping to get back but I guess Ill have to just forget about it. If I deleted the Primary DOS partition you dont think that would make the HD work do you? Formatting is my last option cause I would like to be able to try and get all my information back.

Well 8gigs of your harddrive is working deleting all the partitons on this drive and recreating one partition then formatting should allow your PC to recognize the entire drive.
However, if there is data your trying to retrieve. Run fdisk and use the view Logical Drives option and see if there are drive letters assigned to these other partions if so you may be able to goto those drive letters and possible pull the data.
Another option you could try (doubt if it would work though) is to run FDISK /MBR this will rewrite your master boot record.
However since you already formatted the drive (7.8gig) the data is most likely gone already. Or atleast in that area of the drive.
Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back