Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

My NIC doens't start when I plug it to network

Status
Not open for further replies.

FZRLA

IS-IT--Management
Aug 13, 2002
DK
Win2K has the NIC deactivation feature.
I have 2 different Win2K pro clients (noteboks) where the NIC doesn't start if the network cable wasn't connected from the start. If I unplug the network cable afterwards it works, until next time they start up without the network cable plugged.

It seems like it can't find the NIC when it boots up without connection. Cuz in "Device manager" the NIC isn't installed. And it can't be found with the "Scan for Hardware changes" or the Hardwarescan using "Add/Remove hardware". The only way I can get the clients back online is to reboot them with the network cable plugged.

Does ne1 have a solution or something that might could help me. I'd be glad to hear it;o)

Thnx in advance

//FZrla

Its pretty common for a PCMCIA Nic. When your laptop is booting the PCMCIA Nic checks for a conection and if one isn't found the device is not activated. No solution that I know of. Most of the newer laptops are now comming with Modem/NIC PCI cards installed, which may be booted without a connection and then plugged in.

I think , that the problem is in NIC driver itself... I had the same problem . Just find a new driver from a manufacturer that is specially designed for w2k or/and wdm model.

Victor K
psas@canada.com
MCSE+I;MCSA;MCSE(w2k);CNE(5.1);MCNE(6);CIWSP;CIWSA.

Thnx for the answers.

The NICs are build PCI-cards from Intel. Good cards actually. I have downloaded the new drivers and installed them. It didn't work. I still need to boot them with cable plugged.

//FZrla

If you are able, check your laptops BIOS settings. May be a setting in the BIOS that forces the NIC to not activate unless it senses a network. Having a cable unplugged the NIC can't sense the presence of a network, thus it doesn't go active.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back