Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

my next cert should be? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike69

MIS
Jul 11, 2001
US
I want to pursue a career in computers, esp networking. I work in the Long Island, NY area.

I have A+ & Network+.

I can't decide between CCNA & MCSE as my next cert.

What do you think would be the most applicable?

probably MCSE, but the training is very long & expensive vs CCNA.

I want to be a self employed computer professional.

Am I more likely to get a phone call to configure a Cisco router or to set up/troubleshoot a NT/2000 lan?

(I think the later)

Any thoughts?

Mike

<<If want to be a self employeed Computer Professional, yes you will most likely receive the later but having a MCSE means very little >>

Which one is the Later?

Yes I do want to be self employed.

Thanks,

Mike

I suggest getting an MCP FIRST (passing 1 MCSE OS test). Then get your CCNA then finish up your MCSE. Getting your MCP first then getting the CCNA can greatly enhance your &quot;potential&quot; to a future employer. The MCSE takes so long to get. Waiting till you are finished to get the CCNA would be a waste. Get your MCP in Win2K pro or Server then get the CCNA. After the CCNA, finish up your MCSE. Believe me you will be better off than getting your CCNA first OR your MCSE first. James Collins
Systems Support Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

i have 4 diffrent certifications a+ network+ ccna and msce now this is what i would like to point out. employers do not like msce as much as ccna becasue msce is only microsoft devices unlike ccna were you learn more about the basic stuff like mac addressig ip configureations lan's wan's etc. This alows you to be much more valuble to someone that isnt just looking for someone that knows windows...... (unix for example)-like a network enginer needs to know more about unix then microsoft. (unless it is a smaller or much larger company) Most mid-size company's servers deal with unix freebsd etc.

I am in a similar situation and like you am undecided which certification to go for. I have the MCSE for NT4 Track and am about to take the Windows 2000 server exam. After that I'm not sure. I would like to either go for CCNA or Windows 2000 directory services (AD). Unfortunately I have absolutely no experience of either and have no access to either aswell. The costs of each course is around $2000 which would be a serious investment. But then I don't suppose there's much point in self-studying these courses as no one will want a &quot;Paper&quot; Cisco or Active Directory Administrator.

Alternatively I may turn my attentions to learning Linux.

Any suggestions would be appreciated as I will have to start looking for a new job in a few months time.

About Network+, to pass the exam do you need any networking experience?

I've almost finished a course on networking (CD-ROM based), and the company concerned has said I can either take one of their &quot;diplomas&quot; or go on to do the N10-002 Network+ exam
which I know is going to be a damn sight better than one of their meaningless diplomas.

However this course was sold to me as a great way to get into IT, something for those with no experience to do to get a job. So of course I thought that was great.

HOWEVER reading the info at it says the ideal candidates should have 9 months experience and A+ certification. did any of you Network+ types have these two things when you took the exam? Will I fail miserably due to the lack of these two?

neillovell - I passed my Network+ exam with decent marks without really a great deal of real-world experience. I was making the transition from application to technical instructor at the time, and had taught A+ more times than I could count. Whatever Prep materials you were using to study with should suffice, though in class we did have some labtime in which to do things like terminate and test cables and troubleshoot networking issues.
What I would suggest is taking a few practice exams so that you get a feel for how the questions are asked... not just what material was covered. (I have to say, now that I'm a System Admin... I apply more of what I learned in the A+ class than what I learned in the Network+ class because a good deal of the Net+ was theory and lab-controlled experience... didn't help that in class we were playing with Cat3 & Cat5, and our network is primarily wired with Anixter Level 7 (exceeds Cat 6 specs) Cabling)
Good Luck ---Angie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back