Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

My Network Places

Status
Not open for further replies.

piwadmin

MIS
Jul 25, 2002
US
I have a small network setup at home using a linksys router with a cable modem. I recently connected a laptop I use at the office to my network. I went and reset the TCP/IP settings and changed from a domain to a workgroup. My problem: My network places is unavailable, I am unable to see any shared resources on the network. Any suggestions?

No, I have the standard setup of: Client for MS networks, File & Print Sharing for MS networks, and TCP/IP.

you must be using a wireless addapter for the laptop, correct?
either way, have you configed the ip and dns settings or are you relying on the obtain ip automaticly. you can goto start menu,run,ipconfig /all to see what you may need to enter into the feilds under (my copmuter,network and dialup,local area conections) right click on local area conect and select properties. left click on tcp/ip once and select properties. then you will see the feilds that you may need to config.
i myself in 2 situations needed to enter this data in one and could rely on automatic settings in the other. i assume it is a router related thing.
i'll do my best to walk you through every step to get this to work. i know how how you feel.

when you "search for computers near me" do you see any results.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back