Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

my laptop wont see the internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

lgstech

Technical User
Dec 16, 2001
GB
I have a laptop for my new job in a school but i can't get it to connect to the internet. It is connected to a LAN and i can see other computers and they can see me and they can all connect to the internet, but when i go to internet explorer it trys to connect and then comes up with an error message saying it can't make a connection. I also can't get my e-mail in outlook express. The laptop is running windows 95 and if it helps it is using a ninaa box which is provided by provilion for schools.
Thanks for advance for your help!

This sounds to me like you are having a name resolution issue. Are you using TCP/IP and if so , how are the properties set up? Is your network using DHCP? More such information is needed.

Im sorry but i dont know what you mean by DHCP.
Can you write me a list of all the information you need and i will get it.
Thanks for your help
LGSTECH

What sort of a network do you have? Is it an NT network where you are logging onto a domain? Do you know what sort of protocols you are employing? I am assuming tcp/ip, DHCP is an automated means of getting your IP address from the server when you log on as opposed to having one statically assigned. Can you access the internet by using an ip address instead of a name? Try inputting 64.58.76.176 and see if you can get to YAHOO from your browser.

Let me know how you do.

I dosn't log on to a NT Network. it uses TCP/IP. I will try the ip address for yahoo tomorow when i go in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back