Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

My LAN cannot connect with @home mail server

Status
Not open for further replies.

npowell

Technical User
Sep 19, 2001
US
Here's the deal....

I have a home LAN sharing an @home cable connection via a D-LINK 4-port router/gateway (with NAT based firewall :)). No machines on the LAN can send or recieve email through the @home mail server. All machines on the LAN can, however, use Yahoo and Hotmail (POP3 and SMTP versions), can play various games, can use file-sharing apps, can surf http, and can use IRC (after opening up port 113). My LAN can do EVERYTHING except @home email

Additionally, when any one machine is connected directly to the cable modem, and that computer name is changed to the one @home gave me, it can send/recieve via the @home servers. (Normally, the D-link has the @home computer name, and domain name)

The message I get with Eudora: "cannot resolve server (mail)" so on and so forth.

I have tried countless configurations - opening up various ports (auth, pop3, smtp, and DNS) through to all machines, to no avail. I have also spent days searching the web on this topic and have learned alot - but apparently not enough.....

This leads me to believe that @home uses some sort of authentication that only a non-LAN connected machine can provide. The @home mail server is maybe not accepting the info from my router? (computer name, domain, ip address)

Could this be because I have not purchased IP adresses for extra machines on the LAN?

Any comments/solutions to this issue would be VERY GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!

Thanks

npowell

We had to change our Workgroup name to @HOME in order to get connected. We have a home peer-to-peer network (Win2000) and have a LinkSys router with the other side of the router using an @HOME provided IP address (only one - that's what the router is for) pointing to the @HOME server.

The need to name our Workgroup @HOME to connect suprised the heck out of me.

I guess the workgroup is needed to be on the @home network in general - just like all PC's on a Windows network.

My router has an entry for a domain, which I put as @home. Supposedly this is forwarded to the PC's. The router also has an entry for computer name - I entered the one supplied by @home (format = CC-[numbers]letter)

Also, each machine's workgroup entry is @home. But then...

When one machine is connected directly to the cable modem (and has the @home computer name and @home workgroup); that machine has no trouble at all sending and recieving email via @home.

Hi npowell:

I have about the same setup as you have with a @home account, the only way to get the mail working is to find out what the real name of the mail server is. For example my server is "mail.poco1.bc.wave.home.com". I hope this helps

Vic

You don't need to change the workgroup.

The deal is that you have to put in the Full Qualified domain name of the mail server.

Initially @HOME names your mail servers "mail"

You need to add the domain info to that in order to send and receive mail.

If you know the FQDN of your machine when it conencts to the @HOME network just remove the first part and add "mail" this is your mail server. Also...you can try pinging "mail" and get the IP address.

@HOME will give you the information if you ask them.

Hello guys/gals,

I thank you all for the help on this frustrating mail issue. @Home was recently bought by comcast and in doing so, changed their policies regarding mail. I can now connect to their mail server (mail.comcast.net) without problems with all computers on my network. Thanks again to all who offered advice and to this forum for being such a great wealth of information. See ya!

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back