Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

My Illustrator is stuck on the hand tool???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honeyos2003

Technical User
May 16, 2008
US
When I open an Illustrator file or try anything in Illustrator, the hand tool is the only thing I ever get. I can only navigate around my artboard. Nothing seems to work? Is there some sort of setting messed up?

...try deleting the preferences file for illustator odd behaviour:

If manually deleting this file, ensure Illustrator is closed first.

With Illustrator CS and later, it is also possible to delete the preferences by holding down CTRL+ALT+SHIFT(Win)/Shift+Option+Command(Mac) whilst starting the application and responding 'Yes' when prompted.

Illustrator preferences are stored in the file Aiprefs. This file has no file extension, is a hidden file, and its location is dependent upon the operating system version.

Windows:

To locate the file from Windows Explorer it is necessary to set Explorer Folder options > View to "View Hidden Files and Folders"

Under Win XP and Win 2K, the file will be located in:

%systemdrive%\Documents and Settings\~username\Application Data\Adobe\Adobe Illustrator[Version][Settings-(CS/CS2)].

Mac OSX:

Users>~username>Library>Preferences>Adobe Illustrator CS Settings>Adobe Illustrator Prefs

DON'T DO ALL THAT. Just hit your spacebar several times to have it come out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back