Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

My home page was changed by a website and cannot be changed back 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

laite

Technical User
Aug 7, 2001
GB
One of those clever dick webmasters with a strange sense of humour decided to change my home page and although I can obviously change it back (tools - options etc), when I restart, the damned thing takes over again. How do I boot out whatever has taken over so that I can reclaim my machine?

Check out thread608-115841 for the remarkable reghakr's suggestions. Different cause, same outcome.

Thanks Paulwood. I've used Reghakr's suggestions before. The guy's a demigod!

I have the same problem but the suggested help has not solved this yet.
Perhaps I am doing something wrong.
RS

Do a search of the registry for the URL of the unwanted page. You will need to change the registry key back to your defualt page. WARNING: Playing with the registry can be hazardous to your health. (My way of saying, "don't blame me if you screw it up.")

I went to one of those warez sites and now when i click on search it brings up it's own search engine which i want to get rid of. How can i make go back to how it used to be?

Let mviltan2 know
this post was helpful!

Is this post offensive?
If so, Red Flag it!

Check out the FAQ
area for this forum!

Cassaro (MIS) Jul 20, 2001
Hi Mviltan2,

I am going to assume that your search button is available on the screen (world icon with search printed below) if you click on that it will bring up your search screen on the left hand side of your screen. There is a "Customize" button/bar that should be visable to you. Click on this bar and make sure that the radio button next to "Use one search service for all searches" is not marked. More then likley this will correct your problem.

Hope this helps,

Chuck

Let Cassaro know
this post was helpful!

Is this post offensive?
If so, Red Flag it!

Check out the FAQ
area for this forum!

Comtech (Instructor) Jul 20, 2001
Just (read my response in the IE forum, where you double posted), open Tools, Internet Options, Programs tab. Click the "Reset Web Settings" button.
Cheers,
Jim

Let Comtech know
this post was helpful!

Is this post offensive?
If so, Red Flag it!

Check out the FAQ
area for this forum!

reghakr (IS/IT--Manageme) Jul 20, 2001
mviltan,

Hello, I do not know if these posts will help you, but I was able to get rid of my simular "virus" with them! Good luck, fritzers.

The others may work fine, if not:

Backup the registry and/or export the following keys:
go to Start>Run, type regedit. Navigate to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ Software\ Microsoft\ Internet Explorer\Main key. Now,
double-click on the Search Page entry in the right-hand pane

and paste this into the box:

reghakr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back