Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

My hard drive crashed. How do I get my iTunes songs back?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tokuzumi

Programmer
Sep 16, 2002
US
My hard drive crashed, and I had many songs from iTunes downloaded. I have another computer,with iTunes installed, and want to redownload my songs from apple, but apple wants $50 to start troubleshooting. Someone may know how to download my songs again. I have no iPod, and everything on the web is about the iPod with iTunes. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

You could pay for your hard drive to be salvaged as much as possible to try to get your songs back...but that'd cost more than $50...

Can't you e-mail them for free enquiring about the situation? Or have you already done that, and that was how they told you about having to pay $50?

You will not get any joy from apple - see for the official explanation.

If you live in the UK or are willing to post your drive to the UK then I offer a free HD inspection where I will look at your drive and see what is retrievable.

Alternatively you can use one of the many free or shareware applications to retrieve data from a HD.

Greg Palmer
Freeware Utilities for Windows Administrators.

That is just plain evil !
Apple should change their policy and let users like you download the music you have PAID FOR any number of times you want to. Why dont you switch to some other place where you can buy songs like napster etc.

-
mobajwa

What a kind offer from Greg. Have you tried running ChkDsk /r from the Recovery Console, or looked at the free diagnostic software from the drive's manufacturer to check out the drive.

HOW TO: Install and Use the Recovery Console for Windows XP (Q307654)

Data recovery.

Another option would be the self booting CD's that contain an operating system that runs just from the CD.

ultimate boot cd ??
Thread779-679737

Users recycle bin
thread779-744465

Winpe and ultimate boot cd is the best solution since it has utils on it. Otherwise, you may want to install your new drive as a master and load your OS. Then, use the old drive as a slave and see if you can recover anything.

-DJ

Here is the real question, did you hard drive stop working or did windows crash? If your HD truley stopped working then recovery will cost more than the cost of replacing songs. IF windows crashed, post more info and people here may be able to repair it. Also do a seash on google for hiren's boot CD, although I am sure some of the utilities MAY be unliensed, this boot disk have a lot of useful utilities, more that the ultimate boot disk mentioned above.

Tokuzumi,
By now, you probably already have this issue taken care of, but for others in the future in your situation.... We start by assuming your songs are still on your ipod, since it isn't you iPod that crashed.

1. Reinstall your OS on your PC.

2. Go to "My Computer" > Tools menu at the top > Folder Options > click on the "View" tab > In the lower window click on the circle that says "Show Hidden Files And Folders" next to it. Hit "Apply", then close the window.

3. Now connect the iPod.

4. Double click on the iPod when it shows up in "My Computer" as a drive.

5. Double click the folder called "iPod_Control"

6. Double click the folder called "Music"

7. In that folder, are 49 or so folders called "F01, F02, F03, etc...". If you click on any one of those folders, you will notice all of your songs are in those folders.

8. Copy the contained songs to a folder on your freshly rebuilt machine. ! ! ! !IF YOU SKIP THIS STEP, YOU WILL LOSE YOUR MUSIC PERMANENTLY. ! ! ! !

9. You now reinstall iTunes.

10. Hook your iPod up, and syncronize it. iTunes will think it is a foreign or new iPod, and remove all of the music on it.

11. Re-import the songs that you previously copied to your hard drive.

Now this obviously opens the door to piracy. However, I am not the RIAA, the government (God KNOWS they are perfect!), and I am certainly not your mom, so I hope this works for all of you that need to do it.

~Damn the man!
- Bertollini

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back