Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

My FPS are really low with good hardware

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Ok my computer is running at a low fps rate (in countertsrike) of lower then 20 FPS. I have no idea why considerng my hardware/connection type. I have a Samtron 77V monitor, a Xtasy GeForce4 MX 420 with 64MB memory, and an AMD K6-2 500 MHz CPU. I also have SBC Global for DSL. Yet I am till running a low as 20 FPS in the game. I have tried tweaking OPEN GL settings,and I downloaded and installed the detonater drivers too. Still to no avail. I tried running with VSINC off and recived a lousy 5 fps in improvement. I also tried running the game in Direct3d instead of Open GL. This slowed it down more. I have no idea what the problem is. Can some1 help me!?

Firstly, I wouldn't call a 500Mhz CPU "good hardware". But you still should get better than 20fps.

Is this just limited to CS or is it in other games? If it's jsut CS, try putting mp_maxfps in the console and see what its set at. Change it to 100. What frequency is your monitor running at.

Have you tired reinstalling Halflife.

This is Help Please,

Yeah I know that its not good but i meant OK hardware and that probably doesnt even apply...

Well I have tried it on other games but not on FPS games I will try that but I did try it on Starcraft and it would still go really slow.

As for mp_maxfps (I think you meant fps_max) I have already set that for 100 with no improvement.

My monitor is running at 75hz refresh rate.

Good idea in reinstalling but it didnt work either.

Any other suggestions? I am really stumped

What resolution is your screen? 1024x768? 16-bit or 32-bit color?

I would try taking your settings down to 800x600 at 16-bit color. Of course, kill any apps running in the background and/or starting with Windows (use msconfig if you have to). If you're still having problems, then something else is going on....
ck_blk@yahoo.com

You may as well face it..its time to upgrade proc and mb..I had almost the same setup and got lously fps with nascar games ..upgraded to tbird 1.2 and kept the same video card etc and literally quadrupled my fps..went from 15-20 to 80+ fps..

see that would of been the first thing i did.. but .. i have almost everything onboard for the mother board. it would end up costing less to just buy another premade cpu (i dont want to do this) or make my own. But i have already speant most of my money on video card and monitor and other not onboard equipment. Even my old card was onboard. it was a trident. so i would have to get a new everything to go along with just the mother board. I wish i could just buy a new motherboard and call it done but i cant! im guessing its that though. and on my other computer, which has a voodoo3, and a sony trinitron (which isnt quite as good as my other monitr) is getting 80 fps. so its either something small that i missed or its my motherboard which is more likely. i may end up just making a new cpu when i can afford it.
As for killing apps, thats the first thing i do and i play at that resolution and color setting as well.

hey man i ahve been having the same problem with my p3 1 ghz cpu with g4 mx 420.one thing different, when i play half life mods liek counter strike on windows xp i get usually around 70 fps when i play it on my windows me i get 20 maybe 25. why is this? is there somethign different with xp?

We seem to be getting similar threads to this on a regular basis and the answer is always the same.
Even if you fitted a GF4 4600Ti your FPS wouldn't improve much.
Your old motherboard and it's old chipset are simply throttling the new graphics adapter.
Often an older card like the Voodoo 3/4/5 will outperform the newest entries.
As for the XP issue.
It just is a more resource hungry O/S and with a slower PC like yours, every bit of ram and processing power is being used up simply working XP, that is why the FPS go up when using a less power hungry O/S like 98SE.
Martin Please let members know if there advice has helped any.

I seem to be having similar problems as well in this same category. I have a GeForce 3 64mb, Pentium 4 2.0ghz, 1536mb sdram, with Windows 2000 Professional. When I play Counter-Strike, my fps drops to the 50's (sometimes 30's) when I'm facing in the direction of the 'action.' Any other time, it seems to stay around 99-100 fps, so why would it be dropping so much if it's capable of being that high?

Well, as for Windows 2000, I've heard from a lot of people that running games on it can be a lost cause. You may want to dual boot if you want to run 2000 and play games.
As for some of the above comments, bear in mind that a Geforce4MX is basically a glorified GF2, and no where near a non-MX Geforce4.
But you should be able to run counterstrike.
Make sure you don't have anything like Norton's autoprotect function running in the background. Bite the bullet and turn your video detail settings lower. And also, always make sure your drivers are the newest set that isn't a beta version.

Since you have been trying differnt things,give this a try.
640x480, high color (16bit), close programs in the tool bar, and then try running the game.

the prob may be with AGP.
there are times the agp remains disabled even though directx, bios, and vga drivers clearly say agp is enabled.
to check out, first disable agp acc. in DX and run the game .
or the best thing i recommend is that u download 3d mark 2001 from madonion.com
it runs the best benchmark ever. compare the scores with and without agp disabled,
peace

knightflight@wow.lk

I have same problem....have done everything i could imagine to solve it, even tried different OS. Still my fps stays around 40.
If some of u finds the solution to our problem PLS tell me! :( (t_tonteri@hotmail.com)

I have same problem....have done everything i could imagine to solve it, even tried different OS. Still my fps stays around 40.
If some of u finds the solution to our problem PLS tell me! :( (t_tonteri@hotmail.com)

ok it seems that the main problem here is with your counter strike settings. I will go through the steps to make your cs run as smooth as a babies butt. first type "fps_max 100
in console, then type "max_shells 0", max_smokepuffs 0". Depending on your connection you should adjust your rate. if you are on cable or dsl type this "rate 9999" if you have any lag after that just decrease that number by 100 until you are happy. The next step is to go to your nvidia cards properties. then go to advanced settings. then to opengl settings. there is a part call vertical sync or v-sync. switch that to "always off" that will dramatically improve your fps"
later
p.s. I will kill you when i see you in the servers ;-]

The truth is ever since 1.4/1.5 cs has come it has dramatically reduced my framerate. I get barely over 20-25 fps all the time. Max_fps does nothing. I once read somewhere it is something to do with VACS the anti-cheat software. it scans open gl, and thats what causes the slow down. Play any other mod Day of Defeat for example and watch ur fps shoot up. I can play any other game in high detail and resolution with and still get a high framerate. Its CS it's fcked.

This problem is your CPU its to old and too slow m8, a m8 of mine had a celeron 700 computer with gf2 card and cable modem and could not get more the 25fps so i tried EVERYTHING drivers/hardware the lot and no change.

Got really peed off and sold him an cheap mobo and an atlhon 800 processor and work pretty good at 60=70fps.

Only conclusion was that he had cyrix c3 700 processor so i think and upgrade is needed maybe a t-bird/duron 1ghz and mobo for about 100 quid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back