Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

My first thought was, ... 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, and whom told she?

CBC said:
She says she was told reading posed a risk to other students on the bus.

He suggested they might stand up to see what she was reading, or she might poke herself in the eye with the corners of the book.

They might stand up to see her or she might poke herself in the eye with her finger...

CBC said:
In a statement, the board concedes that "obviously" reading is not dangerous.
Really?

CBC said:
The statement also specified that personal belongings of students, including books, must stay in their bags during the duration of their trip home.
Ah, that explains it.

Bye, Olaf.

CBC said:
In a statement, the board concedes that "obviously" reading is not dangerous.

Hmmm There are a couple of books I can think of that reading and believing explicitly can be very dangerous.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.
Webmaster Forum

CBC said:
he person who drives the bus is allowed to make the rules.

So apparently if the school bus driver makes a rule that all little girl passengers must be naked to ride the bus that will be ok.

Could be worse;

He might be a Catholic Priest!!!

:)

Chris.

Webmaster Forum

Well, I'd just add state law has precedence over conflicting federal law over school law and over bus driver law.
Edit: No idea where traffic regulations chime in to that scheme.

Which means common sense has no place anywhere.

Bye, Olaf.

Imagine, if everybody in the world used common sense, there would be utter chaos.

After all we wouldn't need telling that:

Falling over a cliff edge could be dangerous.
Some knives have sharp edges.
Packets of peanuts might contain traces of nuts.
A cup of tea or coffee may contain hot liquid.

and most importantly ... We shouldn't run whilst holding scissors.

Chris.

Webmaster Forum

Common sense isn't all that common....

not my quote, but it sure is true

Be Alert, America needs more lerts

Funniest_Memes_shhh-my-common-sense-is-tingling_7012.jpeg

-----------
With business clients like mine, you'd be better off herding cats.

>Packets of peanuts might contain traces of nuts.

Given that a peanut isn't a nut ...

strongm said:
Given that a peanut isn't a nut ...
People don't know that peanuts are really legumes, though.

-- Francis
Francisus ego, sed non sum papa.

Don't go telling the Elf & Safetea people things like that, they'll have to think up a whole set of rules.

Chris.

Webmaster Forum

This phenomenon is something that has its origins in north America (US to be exact) and is spreading out all over the world.
The world laughed when the lady suing McDonalds for burning her crotch but then they had some smart lawyers on their own thinking to be able to make a buck with it.
I remember that a German judge ones told me that anybody trying this in Germany would be laughed out of the court and get a bill but in the mean time I am not so sure any more as my last visit has shown that they put the same stupid warning labels on everything as well so they are not the target of a law suit.

The whole world goes nuts (not legume)

Joe W.

FHandw, ACSS (SME)

"This is the end of the world, make sure to buy your T-shirt before it is too late"
Original expression of my daughter

Westi said:
The world laughed when the lady suing McDonalds for burning her crotch
Well, popular ‘knowledge’ of the issue is different than what really happened. Yes, she did ‘burn her crotch’, but she did not sue, at first. She did go back to McDonalds after some medical treatment and asked for some reimbursement. When McDonalds refused to pay, she did go to court. McDonalds showed up with a hoard of high-paid lawyers and that’s where the judge got PO’ed at McDonalds and the outcome is known.

Have fun.

---- Andy

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station.

Andrzejek
I remember the case but it is still a moronic issue to put a coffee into your lap to drive, no matter how hot or cold the drink is you should pay attention to the road and not being restricted from hitting the brakes or the gas pedal at any time as fast as possible and if you spill because of it you should be responsible enough to see your own fault is far greater than the one of the supplier of the drink for not telling you that a hot coffee is really hot or handing you a 12 page manual on "what not to do with this drink", because you put the drink there voluntarily.

Accidents happen, I ripped off my Archilles tendon 2 weeks ago on customer site, not suing anyone, not the manufacturer of my shoes or the carpet manufacturer or the customer where it happened for not providing me with a wheelchair just in case it would happen or providing me with a written statement that it could happen (OK maybe a bad example).
Responsibility for your actions seems a lost art these days and I don't mean to absolve all people from their responsibility of taking teh utmost care so that others don't get hurt, for instance securing a manhole on a sidewalk, but there has to be a "normal" and that seems out of balance at the moment

Joe W.

FHandw, ACSS (SME)

"This is the end of the world, make sure to buy your T-shirt before it is too late"
Original expression of my daughter

> they put the same stupid warning labels on everything as well so they are not the target of a law suit.

I doubt that's to prevent law suites. The labels are in english, not german.

Bye, Olaf.

The labels are in englich, not german.

And that probably underlines what we all suspected was a fact.

That some parts of the English speaking world have a much greater potential for 'being dumb' than other language demographics do. :)

Chris.

Webmaster Forum

And of course ... ... if it was printed vertically on the container, ... ... ... Then you KNOW your paranoia is justified and they all really do "have it in for you". [mad]

Chris.

Webmaster Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back