Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

My First Post: Executing out of Visual C++ 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdgios

Technical User
Jul 17, 2002
US
Hello All, I am new to Visual C++ and so pardon me if this question is too elementary and insults your intelligence. If have developed a visual c++ console application based on someone else's dll and library files. The application executed just fine within the Visual C++ IDE. Now, I have copied the .exe, .lib, and the .dll files to a folder elsewhere and tried to execute the application but it doesn't. What happens is that the MS-DOS window comes mommentarily and disappears. Could you help me debug this problem.

Thanks
Best Regards
Chandra

Try opening a DOS window first, then navigate to the correct directory (using &quot;cd <directoryname>&quot;, etc.) and then execute the program. The DOS window should stay open so that you can read whatever error message(s) the program is returning.

Some potential reasons for the DOS window behavior? The program may require parameters which are not supplied. The program may be looking for a file which isn't present in the directory where the program expects. The program may actually be executing correctly and simply closing the DOS window once it finishes.

Thankyou programsecrets. That was helpful.

Best Regards
cdgios

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back