Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

My first attempt at packaging&deploying - Having trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

RWWAMS

Technical User
Jan 3, 2003
US
Hi everyone, I'm using vb 6.0 pro, Access 2000 and Crystal Reports 8.5 dev.

I have a simple application that I put together to learn how to package and deploy an app on other computers. My first attempts seemed to work, however I noticed a few things that I wanted to change with setup program (like the name of the program and how it get's pinned in the programs list).

I believe I successfully uninstalled the program (I'm only testing on my computer). I also deleted the setup.exe and the support files. I was planning on making another from scratch.

On my second, third, fourth, ... attempt, the packaging seemed to go fine, however, I'm now having trouble running the setup program on my computer.

Everything seems to go fine until Setup updates the system. Now I'm receiving the following message.

The file 'C:\DOCUME~1\white\LOCALS~1\Temp\msftqws.pdw\$(DLLSelfRegisterEx)' could not be registered because it was not found.

I'm forced to click okay, then the program is automatically uninstalled. Any ideas what I did or am doing wrong?

Any help would be very much appreciated.
Regards,
Rich

Google returns a number of hits for 'msftqs.pdw', several from MSKB. Known issues include left-overs from old installation:

'If we're supposed to work in Hex, why have we only got A fingers?'

Essex Steam UK for steam enthusiasts

The problem has been resolved. I had to go into the setup.lst file (open it with Notepad) and locate the following -

$(DLLSelfRegisterEx)

and change it to -

$(DLLSelfRegister)

Then run setup.exe again. It should work fine.

Regards,
Rich

I good idea would be to use VB package and deployment to create the script and use a program like InNo 4 to create a better setup routine (more options 100% better).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back