Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

My Exchange 2000 can't receive email

Status
Not open for further replies.

delpisaro

Programmer
Jun 18, 2003
HK
I set up the Exchange 2000, but i can't receive email from outsite, but i can sent within the same domain example abc@123.com to ccc@123.com. but when sent email from abc@hotmail.com to abc@123.com(my domain), i can't receive email in 123.com or it can't deliver to appropriate user.
i set up the mailbox for the user yet.

thanks a lot for any help

"or it can't deliver to appropriate user.
i set up the mailbox for the user yet."

Does the message bounce back???
Does this mean you have or hav not assigned the email address to A user account in active directory???

Echange 2000 creates a virtual M: drive when the information store is mounted... Browse to M:\Domainname\MBX\ find the users mailbox and check the inbox folder....

Can you "telnet yourdomainname.com 25" if not the SMTP port is not letting traffic through... If you have a firewall you will need to open port 25...

A little more info and this problem should be rather easy to solve.

thanks for your help, RoryJMcKenna

I can sent email to outside using my domain's account, but when I sent email from outside to my domain's account, i can't. The server sent am email of "delivery status notification (failure)" back to the outside account.

I don't think it is because of the firewall setting. Because i can't do so even i switched off the firewall.

can you telnet to your public ip on port 25??

from a command line type in "telnet your_public_ip 25"

both 110 and 25 is ok
they both posted "ready"

-Do you have the email address setup in active directory under the user account?? is there a typo??
-Can you browse to the M: drive and see the users mailbox??
-Do you have any special settings in Exchange... Or is it a fairly default install??

1) I set up the account in the Active Directory as i can use this account to send out email to outside email server e.g. Hotmail.com. but i am sure what is a "typo"

2) Yup, i can see the user mailbox in the M: drive, but i can't go into it

3) when i was installing the Exchange server 2000, no special setting there, i just use the default setting.

thanks for you help :)

At one time did you have you ISP host your e-mail and have now decided to host it your self? If so, you will need to have you ISP change you MX record for you. I think this is not the problem though because of the telnet test you did. but it is something else to look at.

James
MCP, MCSE

Good call James.. It could be the MX record Go to to see where the MX is pointed or if you have access to a Linux box.. type digmx domain_name.com

-What does the failure notice say?? (Post it) that you recieved at your hotmail account... As I see it it should be working (From what you told me)

-Why can you not go into the users mailbox?? is it a permissions issue?? If so give your user account enough permissions to look in there.

This the reply email from Hotmail.com

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.

Delivery to the following recipients failed.

account@company.com

Reporting-MTA: dns; admin@company.com
eceived-From-MTA: dns;hotmail.com
Arrival-Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 15:47:43 +0100

Final-Recipient: rfc822;account@company.com
Action: failed

Thank a lot for any help

Have you configured your recipient policy to allow traffic from those domains to come into the system?

Also... look at the reply address of the mail you are sending out of your company. If you're using a null domain extension for your AD, you'll have a reply address of user@mydomain.local, or something like that.

PSC

After I added the email @hotmail.com entry in Recipient Policies, i can receive email from hotmail.com, but i have to add an entry each time ??

any other mthod ?

Thanks a lot Pscottc for giving me help

Here's an example of what Modifying the recipient policy will do for you:

You have an Active Directory, MyAD.local. When you install Exchange, you will get a default address space of @MyAD.local.

You also own MyCompany.com and you want to receive email for that domain. You add @MyCompany.com to the recipeint policy. Users in the domain should automatically update with the additional SMTP address. You can now send and receive for you external domain.

Now... If you're trying to receive for @hotmail.com, what the heck is the reason for that? You should own the address space you are going to receive for, and you should have MX records set up on the internet to allow resolution to your domain. Maybe I'm not understanding?

And based on the last message:

Final-Recipient: rfc822;account@company.com

That message usually comes across if you don't have an MX record, or you don't have a public IP for your server. It suggests that the mail system you were sending from attempted to connect, but couldn't find the server it needed to talk to.

You actually don't need to set up a static NAT on your firewall for exchange to send mail outbound. As long as it can reach the internet and perform a DNS lookup, it will send. So you may have both an MX and firewall issue in addition to the recipient policy.

PSC

I have exactly the same issue as this, I have checked my m drive and no folder for active directory appears.
Only 1 for anne-robinson.info, appears lan.anne-robinson.info is missing.

The local domain is lan.anne-robinson.info
Server name is sbserver, I have all the correct entries in the recipiant policy for both lan.anne.... and anne-robin....

The email address is @anne-robinson.info.

Am getting.

Can the missing active directory folder be created ?
How can this mapping issue be resolved ?

many thanks

Sorry,

I have exactly the same issue as this, I have checked my m drive and no folder for active directory appears.
Only 1 for lan.anne-robinson.info, appears anne-robinson.info is missing.

I am having the same problem. I have both port 110 and 25 open and am able to telnet to the server and send e-mail. It looks like the server is queueing the messages but not delivering them to the recipients mailbox.

We have, with Microsoft's help corrected this fault. In our instance Tend Micro AV has been set up incorrectly and was scanning the M:\ drive that Exchange set's up and "had corrupted the AD". Microsoft Support told use we needed to re-install IIS and Exchange.

Strange how the smallest of things has such a big impact!

Rich

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back