Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

My EX 2k is being used to relay.all settings are set not to relay!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

gwu

MIS
Dec 18, 2002
US
From what i have read in previous posts, all my setting on my MS EX 2000 server are set to no relaying. I have even used telnet to test and i was denied because of relaying. However My email server is being clogged with 1000s of emails. Not many people use this server, 50 max. One of the queues is to the Yahoo domain which had over 2000 messages in it. My first question is if there is another way to delete all the queued messages at once. It took a half hour to delete just yahoo queues(enumerate then delete, enumerate, delete,etc etc...). My second question:what is going on with my server!!! After i deleted the queued messages another 1000 reappeared. Unless someone says otherwise it seems my server is being used for spamming. If it is then how can i stop this attack?

I have the same problem as well. For now I just blocked off the yahoo domain from sending through to my server. I'm still trying to find out a better way for this.

Chris

I found how to fix this....I moved all the accounts to a linux email server :)

Question is, where did the emails originate from? Are you 100 % sure it came from outside?
Some apps (spam, virus, ads, spy, worms...) can cause a similar effect. [sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, excpect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC! - Marc
[/sub]

Try this -

Right click the queue and click Delete All Messages (no NDR) then right click again and click Force Connection.

I'm not sure if you are actually experiencing spamming. I used to have high traffic from my mail server too. I eventually found out it was due to mails sending from our own pple. It never happened when we were still using 5.5. You should try checking these queues to see if it is coming from your pple, the size of the message, the number of recepients etc. If it is coming from your own staff, ,then you need to educate them, set some delivery restrictions, or increase your bandwidth. After that experience, I never had the same problem again.

Well in my case I noticed that when I do message Journaling I see people from Yahoo emailing to yahoogroups. I'm pretty sure that no one in our domain is emailing to yahoogroup plus the emails that message to the yahoogroups are different all the time.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back