Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

My Documents redirection problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

gbaker

MIS
Nov 27, 2001
US
I'm testing a new policy change, which involves redirecting "my documents" to a shared directory on a server.
Right now the only setting in the policy is redirect to \\server\share\%username%$ . I've assigned it to a test OU, given the users read and apply policy permissions, run secedit /refreshpolicy and had my test users log off and on.
The folders are not redirecting. Any suggestions?

In the properties of the GPO are the users there with the read and apply group policy permissions checked?

Yes, the test accounts that I'm using have read and apply group policy checked. This is what's confusing me, it should apply, and secedit /refreshpolicy should propigate the changes fairly quickly.

I'm sure you've done this, but make sure the users have Change permissions to the share and directory. Also, I see that you've put the $ at the end of %username%. I guess you're trying to hide this directory, but that will only work if you've shared out that level of the directory path. If you've done that, then there's no need to use the path \\servername\share\%username%$ as you've described above. Instead, you would just go directly to \\servername\%username%$ . Now, just for kicks, would you mind trying something? Instead of sharing the actual USERNAME, try sharing the "share" portion of your path and hiding that instead. So now , you're path for redirection would be \\servername\share$\%username% . Let us know....

I have an add-on question here, maybe someone can help. I am currently re-directing my users My Document folder to the server and it works fine. However, when they travel to our other office (opposite coast) they have terrible performance issues as expected. Is there some way for me to have them use the local data server in the other office when they travel??? Maybe a statement like \\%logonserver%\share\%username% ??? Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can resolve this problem. People travel to the other office 1/4 of the time, so I need to get some solution and I would like to keep the syncronation in place. Any ideas?

I've changed the path to \\server\share$\%username%, refeshed the policy, but still no luck.

OK. Are you creating the %username% directories manually? Try using GPRESULT and GPOTOOL from the admin pak to see if your workstations recognize that the policy is out there. I'm assuming that you have other policies defined that are working properly?

I batched out the directory creation, but they all exist.
After running gpresult, the only policies that are being applied are local and the default domain policy, which I have made modifications to along the line. The test policy that I'm creating is not applying.
I'm trying to refine a poorly designed network, and the gpo's are the final step.
What do you think I'm missing in getting the policy to apply?

Hmm...in this test OU that you applied this policy to, did you add regular user accounts or groups? I think we can rule out DNS since you're getting the default domain policy...how about trying to apply the redirection policy to the domain temporarily (since we know your clients are seeing that GPO) just to see if you're settings are correct?

I made the temporary change to the default domain policy and it came through. So, I guess the problem is in getting a new policy to apply. I think that I've followed the right steps, maybe there's something that I'm missing.

check to see how you linked the policy to the OU. Obviously, you're writing the policy itself correctly if the domain one worked. I believe we're getting closer...

I linked the policy to the OU through AD Users and Computers>test OU> properties > group policy > add.
Then I specified individual users w\ read, apply group policy.

man....double check the Options and Properties buttons on the policy to make sure neither one has a Disabled check box ticked...

All's well in that department.
I'm going to try creating it on another DC to see if there might be a problem with sysvol or NTDS on the one that I have been working on.

If the folders were already created then you will need to rename them. (%username%OLD) then in the profile path recreate a new folder. then take the )LD folder and move the contents into the new one. delete the OLD folder and redirection will work for you.

I have a related problem. I had the redirection setup from the beginning, last year when I setup the server. However, I am tryin to create new users but the group policy is not applying to them. For some odd reason it may not recognize the %username% and stop at \\servername\share\ for the my documents folder.
Any suggestions are greatly apprieciated.
+AkramY -akramy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back