Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

My Documents folder disappearing

Status
Not open for further replies.

matrixnz

Technical User
Jul 9, 2002
NZ
Hi all

I have a user that has a problem with her My Documents folder namely it keeps disappearing when she wants to save files , I can't seem to figure it out can anyone help?
here is one of the email's she sent me.

"Firstly, when I open a word document from email and I try to "save as" I can''t see the "My Documents" folder. So next I saved the document from the email to a directory called "My Downloads". I closed and reopened Word and went to open the file and initially "My Documents" appeared. I went up a level and down into "My Downloads" and opened the file I had saved. When I went to file/ save as, it defaulted to "My Downloads" but when I went up a level "My Documents" wasn't there. Next I went to copy the file from "My Downloads" to "My Documents" within Windows Explorer. I right clicked and dragged it over, clearly highlighting "My Documents" but when I released the right click which brings up the "Move, Copy or Create Shortcut" box, the highlighted directory defaults back to the current directory i.e. "My Downloads". I could drag and drop and simply move it but could not drag with a right click to copy it. It now turns out that I can't right click and drag any file whatsoever from another directory into "My Documents". No matter what directory you're in, it defaults as soon as you release the right click while highlighting "My Documents", it defaults back to the directory that you are copying from. Upon further investigation, I have since ascertained the only way that you can copy a file from one directory to another is highlight it, go to the edit copy at the top of the screen, then highlight the directory that you want it in, (you will see the highlight shimmie between "My Documents" and the current directory and then back to "My Documents", before you even select edit paste. But this does copy it. If you try to "Control C" and "Control V" - it too doesn't work. Likewise, right click copy will apparently copy the file but when you go to the other directory to right click paste, paste is no longer an option there for you to select indicating that it never copied it in the first place. I now tried this with any file that I have on the computer, but to no avail."

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers Matrixnz

Scanned and uptodate with the latest dat and engine files, using McAfee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back