Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

My Document Folder

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccprgrmr

Programmer
Jul 7, 1999
US
Strange thing happened after copying files to a new computer, the My Document folder on the desktop has all of the files from the migration listed. But when you click on a file, whether word, excel or whatever, only the program starts without the file content. Plus all of the files are marked "Read only" in the attributes, even after changing them for the whole directory. Any ideas? MS Technet says that this is a w98se problem, and to update to w2k, but this is an XP Pro box.

John Garrison
John Garrison
ccdp@socket.net

How were the files copied? Sometimes, when using the Windows Explorer to copy files, it creates a shortcut to them instead. Could that be what happened to yours? Do the pictures associated with them have the shortcut arrow? BlackburnKL

They are the actual file, not a shortcut, they will just not open in the word or excel program. If you in explorer and click the icon, the file will open normally.

John Garrison John Garrison
n0vxp@centurytel.net

From the command prompt, have you tried navigating to that folder and then used this command?

ATTRIB *.* -R /S BlackburnKL

That helped, but the actual "My Documents" folder on the desktop is the problem. If you click on an excel file, the excel application will open, but the actual data does not open...just Excel with a blank application window opens.

n0vxp@centurytel.net

Just a shot -- and maybe this won't even make sense -- but are you sure that you have the proper authority to access these files? When you check the properties of the folder and/or the files, does it indicate that you don't have even read access. I'm not too familiar with XP...just that I've seen applications open but not the file itself on networked files when the user didn't have even read authority for the folder.

Good luck!

This is not the case, the user can open the file through file|open on excel app or word without a problem, just having an issue with opening the office file from the "My document" folder on the desktop. It is pointing to the correct folder....:;shrugs:: I havent a clue as to what is going on.

n0vxp@centurytel.net

I can only try to point you in a possible direction, I've never figured out the exact fix for this myself yet. I've had it to where you would click on a jpg file, for instance, and Photo Editor would open, but not open the picture you clicked on. Same as your scenario. What happens is that the file association in file types under Windows Explorer doesn't have the attributes correct to pass the file information on to the program. It gets the program opened, but doesn't pass the file handle on correctly. I'll try to search the MS knowledge base for exact causes and fixes. Sorry not more specific, but at least a place to look.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back