Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

My dll is marshalled for a different thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

robjg

Technical User
Jun 25, 2003
GB
We have just implemented an intranet site on a 6-server web farm. The login page uses com+ dll (installed on each server) but from time to time, users are getting an error like this:

"Automation error The application called an interface that was marshalled for a different thread.
/bottom_lo.asp, line 25 "

('line 25' is the first usage of the dll. )
We did alot of testing but this never happened, so i presume its a problem that arises with several users hitting the page. Any ideas what the problem is and how to get around it?
Thanks
Rob

You'll get that error if you create an object in one COM apartment and try to use it from another COM apartment without marshaling its interface.

My guess is it's something to do with the "6-server web farm". Maybe one of the servers created a COM object, and passed the interface to one of the other 5 servers without marshaling the interface?

When one user logs in, is it possible that the handling of that user is passed off from one server to another? You might not see it in testing if the server load is not very high. It might only be happening when a lot of users are trying to get to the servers simultaneously.

excuse my ignorance, but I would need something more tangible than that to resolve the problem....I wouldnt even know how to "marshal an interface" ...is it even possible with a VB component?

I've not had much dealing with COM objects, and certainly never experienced this terminology, so i'm still no nearer to solving the problem.
Thanks for replying anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back