Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

My diamond supra 56K supra modem should work with open caldera? right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Programmer
Jan 12, 2001
US
Everything works on my linux partition except for the
sound and my modem. The ppp module is already loaded by
default into the OS. HMMMMMMMM......

Is your modem the following:

"SupraMax 56K PCI, Model 2260/2370, SM56IPC-XL1, Rockwell chipset"

If so, I believe it is a WinModem (but have not confirmed this on the net as yet) and will probably not work in Linux...

AV
tnedor@yahoo.com

Although I have never actually reviewed this page for any real benefits (ie any work arounds...) is out there and talks about modems for Linux.

Hope this helps,
Paul

What I found was anything that was internal and said modem on it was a definite 'no-work' under linux.

The ideal solution is an external modem....

The internal modems are divided into two classes: Winmodem and real modems. However the packaging never really says what is contained inside. Therefore anything internal is a shot in the dark. External modems are true modems (as much as anything can be) and the cost is not that much more than an decent internal. You can get an external for as low as $49.00 all the way up to about $150.00 or so. US Robotics is a little pricey, Viking modems are at about $99.00 and are listed as Linuc compatible.

I have had really good luck with Viking and Zoom Modems for ISA bus. Especially the ones with jumpers. Haredr to find lately, but so, so easy to use. Have just tried two Zoom Mdl 2920 PCI modems (says LINUX compatible). The instuctions to configure ttyS0 worked great on one machine. (cat /proc/pci) The one machine has so little on it and no problems. The other, more crowded machine seems to be a bit recalcitrant. (Almost everything seems to share IRQ 9)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back