Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

My Critical path is not complete 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Need1

Technical User
Mar 26, 2011
GB
Please can any MS project 2007 expert helpme wit this?

My project critical path is refusing to start from the beginning of the project instead it is starting at a later date.Please help as I need to hand in the plan by Thursday 31-03-2011.

Thanks.

Check the first task on critical path for constraints and clear it!

Thanks @procygnus, I did just what u told me, I removed the constraint (set the beginning task to as soon as possible) still not gettin any result the red line starts from a date in April 2011 while the project start date was designed for November 2010.

Please post your schedule.

To anonymize it:

Tasks
1. View > Gantt
2. Insert "Unique ID" column
3. Copy contents of Unique ID column and paste them over Name.

Resources
1. View > Resource Sheet
2. Insert "Unique ID" column
3. Copy contents of Unique ID column and paste them over Name.

Task 38 - "Generate and record the observed behaviour of simulated pipe for each pipe specification" - appears to have 22h of work that needs to be done between 1200h on Sat 11/6 to 1200h on Tue, 14/6. However for some reason 11 June has default timings [0900-1300; 2200-2300] or 5h workday even though it falls in the [Unamed] 11h workweek. I am sure this was not what you had intended when you created the workweek of 11-18 June. Validate this by using a split screen with "task usage" in the bottom window. This is a curious situation and I have not been able to replicate this type of error. (Which version of MSP are you using and is it Std/Prof?) In your plan, I did a workaround by creating an exception for 11 June, and increasing work hours from the default 5h to 11h. The critical path now extends backward and migrates up to the next available "constrained task" ie, Task 23.

By removing all constraints, you get the critical path from the beginning of the network.

Analyze the plan by inserting columns for Work, Free Slack & Total Slack and you will see a pattern created by constraints.

Another unrelated observation:
Your standard day is defined as 5h. When you define duration of a task, for example, Task 41, as 1.6 "days", it implies 1.6*5h = 8h NOT 1.6*11h = 17.6h as you might have expected to see during the [Unamed] June work week. This is because, MSP converts days into hours using the definition in Tools/Options-->Calendar tab. To be absolutely sure, enter duration in hours.

Anyone else for an explanation on what is happening on 11 June?

http://www.mediafire.com/?sxx2w151v62ahuk
The version I am using is 2007 professional

All constraints have been removed - that's great! But you had a deadline of Mon 08-08-11 23:00 on summary task 1 (MSC SUBSEA ENGINEERING DISSERTATION). Remove it and you have a critical path starting at Task 36 (Introduce a girth weld into the plain pipe model and run the analysis again for all steel classes).

I will analyze it further and let you know what I find with regard to the critical path now starting at task 36.

The sequence in which you setup the plan is critical in MSP. Can't wag the dog!!! If the initial setup sequence is incorrect, it is a nightmare identifying & correcting the errors manually.

http://www.mediafire.com/?2rmi0qz0aa4rpdf
Thanks for your assistance @procygnus.

Ok - so the June 11 problem persists and cannot be replicated in my installation. Try this little exercise:

1. Open a new project.
2. Open Tools/Change Working Time
3. Create a new definition for workweek for 11-18 June. Start by selecting the range of dates in the calendar displayed.
4. Define the details as 0900-1400 & 1700-2300 Mon->Sat.
5. Exit the popup and verify timing for 11 June (this appears to the right of the calendar). It should be the same as for the rest of the dates in the range (11th-18th) except 12th which is a Sunday.

To correct the problem temporarily, I have again created an exception for June 11 so that the timings align with the definition in the [Unamed] workweek, ie:
0900-1400
1700-2300

The critical path is now shown accurately (see attached).

http://www.mediafire.com/?316l7yp01e5r75j
Thanks a lot @procygnus, will do it again and take note of the changes and then compare with what u attached.

Regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back