Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

My CPU speed and RAM size are much lower than spec!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdunderhill

Technical User
Nov 25, 2002
GB
I have just built a PC for my Grandad...

The spec is:

ECS EliteGroup K7SOM+ Motherboard

- 1400 MHz factory fitted onboard Duron Processor

256 Mb DDR RAM

40 GB Maxtor 7200 RPM HDD

PC Case with 300 watt PSU

Windows XP

The computer boots up no problem to XP and looks great but runs at 100% CPU usage whenever an application is loaded such as Rollercoaster Tycoon 2 demo, Pearl Harbour demo and more or less when installing programs, everything I run seems to make the PC really struggle

I know the computer has got the guts to run these type of applications but when checking out the system details XP reports the processor to be 1005 Mhz!!, so thats a big reduction, ive tried rebooting etc but same thing happens

The RAM size has been capped down to 228 Mb so theres another reduction

I was thinking that perhaps the voltage was lacking so entered BIOS to try to change the settings but couldn't find anything there

I would really appreciate if anyone had any ideas or has come across a similar problem?

Thanks very much

Jamie

What does the POST screen report in terms of CPU speed and amount of RAM? Have you got onboard graphics (often uses system RAM - which might account for the discrepancy).

Is it really a Duron processor (not an XP 1400+)? I ask, as the XP range actually run at slower clock speed than they are 'rated'. The ratings are based on comparable Pentiums (eg 1400+ should equate to Pentiun 1.4GHz, but actually runs somewhat slower - I don't have its real speed to hand so can't compare with your 1005 but for example XP2000+ runs at 1667).

If it is a Duron, you need to check the motherboard manual (goto website & download one if you haven't got one). There will be jumpers or switches or bios settings to control the speed the mobo runs the processor at.

Well there are two main questions here, one is: what is the actual CPU clock speed, the other is why is your ram showing as 228mb.
Last first! your ram is showing 228 because this motherboard has "onboard graphics" so uses system memory/ram (a seperate graphics card would have it's own memory so wouldn't use any from the system)
Your CPU clock speed: now this is interesting! all my research has revealed this motherboard is advertised with a built in AMD Duron XP1400+ CPU, and that it has a 200fsb, now all this is very confusing and contradictory.
Which one is it? an XP or a Duron, if it is an XP then how come it has a FSB of 200? All XP's I know have a FSB of 266, one site said it's actual clock speed was just 950, the oficial ECS site doesn't even say what the CPU clock speed is! just stating the K7SOM+ has a built in AMD Duron XP1400+.
The XP1400+ bit of the designation would indicate that this motherboard/processor is using AMD's famed CPU numbering system and that this 1400 is actually much less but as I said I cannot see a definitive answer. Martin Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

You need to go into the Bios and check the CPU Freq. make sure it is correct. if it is... try a different memory chip and in worse case, you may need to replace the motherboard. i have had 3 ECS motherboards and they all had there own little problems if you do replace it i recomend getting a different board and do not get another ECS i recommend... Asus, Shuttle, Abit, Gigabyte, DFI, Or FIC i have never had any problems with any boards from those companies

Thanks very much for replying, that has cleared up a few questions, i will try to find what the clock speed actually should be.

I might unninstall networking services that run because that seems to take up alot of RAM

Thanks alot

Jamie

I've got a supplementary question:
In the bad old days, video ram was known to be really, really slow. If nothing else, it suffered because the video card itself needed lots of access to it in order to draw the screen properly, so the processor had to wait. Are there any issues with on board system memory being used by the graphics system? Is it better to have a separate graphic card with its own memory? I seem to remember hearing a few dark comments some years ago about speed issues where on-board memory was shared between video and "normal", but don't know what happened. Anyone care to comment?
Thanks!

With the exception of Nvidia's Nforce motherboards, onboard graphics is generally poor when compared to a dedicated AGP graphics card.
Having said this display is adequate with all but the latest games and 3D apps.
If you want decent gaming though, a seperate card is a must.
ATI Radeon 7500 or above
GF2 MX400 or above

ATI Radeon 9000 minimum recommended
GF4 MX440 DDR minimum recommended
Martin
Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

Thanks once again, I think it must be a RAM problem

The onboard video has taken up about 32 MB as far as I can see, the networking services are taking up anything from 50-90 MB so that leavres me with about 100 MB free, Ive found before that XP likes a bit more than that to get by, the apps that my Grandad is playing and Installing seem to near the capacity of the RAM causing 100% CPU Usage and freezes (Hope thats correct)

Ive thought of getting a third party program to deal with RAM in an efficeint way to see if that makes a diffence and maybe to try a dedicated graphics card to free up a bit of extra RAM

Thanks for your helpful comments

Jamie

RAM's pretty cheap - what about another 256MB stick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back