Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

My computer stuck when login

Status
Not open for further replies.

LovelyAngel

Programmer
Mar 17, 2002
GB
Hi everyone. I am very new to Linux but the problem sucks. I installed Red Hat Linux 8.0 successfully. And after it boots up there is a graphical screen to ask me to login. After that, the Linux loading the graphical desktop items(GNOME or KDE), but my computer stucks here.

I thought it should be my Video card and Monitor setting problem. I tried to change the login screen to a command line prompt screen by pressing "Ctrl+Alt+F2"(From the book), but I doesn't work.

Can anyone help me with this. By the way, I am using VMware workstation 4.0 to run the Linux.

Thank you!

God and I don't know.

try to boot linux in single-user mode:
if you are using lilo, when the lilo screen appear type ctrl-x and write at the command promt "linux single" (instead of "linux" you must type the name of your os - name that you can find by pressing tab key)
after the initialisation complete, it won't be necessary a login and you must configure again your x server

Thank you for your help but what is the lilo screen?. And I reinstalled my linux, the login is a command line prompt screen, but the "XFree86 -configure" doesn't work because it said it couldn't find the mouse. what should I do with this?

God and I don't know.

Maybe the mouse was your problem from the start?

Try to get a list of the specific brands/names of the parts of your pc.
Your video card manufacturer, the model and make. eg. S3 Virge, Nvidia TNT2, etc. The make, model of your monitor. If not it's specific Vsync and Hsync. Your soundcard (if there's any) model and manufacturer. What type of keyboard you are using, and the type and brand of your mouse.
Once you've acquired this list, then you can configure X to install drivers that would let your system run smoothly.

Hope this helps. :)

what type of mouse are you using? if it's a standard ps/2 you shouldn't be having any difficulty. If it's an old usb mouse it may not be supported in linux, assuming it used a non-standard usb implementation. The text prompt should recognize the mouse, try moving it around and you should see a cursor move around on the screen. You won't be able to do anything with it, but at least it will show that it's there.

Also, the command to detect hardware manually in redhat is kudzu. try unplugging the mouse and typing kudzu (you should be logged in as root to do this). You should get a prompt asking you if you want to delete the mouse configuration, say yes. Then plug the mouse back in and run kudzu again. This time it will ask you to add the new mouse, say yes. I believe kudzu automatically updates your X configuration, so you should be able to try out X now. type "X" at the command prompt and hit enter. You'll now get a checkered display. Try moving around the mouse, hopefully it will work now. When you're done, hold ctrl-alt-backspace (that's backspace not delete) to close X.

Let me know if any of this works.

-Venkman

Thank you everyone. I tried kudzu, but I didn't seen any prompt. The command did nothing in my Linux. When I installed my Linux at the first time, my mouse is ok and the configure screen was shown correctly. The mouse I am using is USB. And I am using IBM laptop, I-series. I've found the Video card model number, but couldn't find the monitor information. I used to pass the screen test during the first installation, but my Linux desktop stucked.

God and I don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back