Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

My computer shuts off

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 14, 2001
US
My computer shut itself off when I am working on it for a while. ex. I'm typing a letter and then it reboots itself.

i thought it might be the power supply so I changed it. It still does the same thing.

can anyone tell me why this is happening?

Sounds like it's heat related. How about the fans in your computer? CPU? Case Fan? What is the speed of your CPU? Has it always done this or did it just start? Are you working in the same program when it restarts? ggebhart@clover.net
I hope I never get too old or arrogant to learn something new!

Need more info.

What type of computer - Desktop, Laptop, Brand etc.
Version of XP Pro or Home?

major components like video card, amt of memory, cpu type.

Run msinfo32 from the run box and most of the important info about your system is gathered up for you.

Any error messages?

Tell us more maybe we can help.

The two rules for success are:
1. Never tell them everything you know.

I'd have to agree with lgebhart... make sure your fan is working.

Make sure a cable or something isn't stopping the fan from spinning.

Also check under the little sticker on the fan for a little hole, if there is then just drip a tiny bit of oil in thier (preferably oil conditioned for bearings etc.)
I once had this problem with a box, and the CPU was over heating and just turning off, the oil worked a treat.

Best of luck with it :)
gohard.jpg

//phase

I Replaced the PowerSupply and Changed the Fan on the processor. I am on a desktop PC AMD 350 processor 128MB memory running windows 2000 and msoffice 2000 applications. it starts just fine in about an hour when I'm working on it, it resets itself. there is adequate ventilation going through the case.
What else could be wrong?

Just a shot in the dark here but I thought W2K had a setting to restart on errors. Cant remember where it is located though. It may be that you are receiving some error and its triggering the reboot. Hopefully someone will know where to find this setting. Sorry I cant remember where it is.. Good Luck. If it is not this try reseating all your boards and memory.

On WinXP and probably in a similar place on Win2k the settings for what to do on error are:

comtrol panel - system - advanced - startup and recovery -settings

If you find this be sure to set up that an error event is posted.

In any case, if you can, look in the event viewer to see if any errors were reported before the crash. They might point you to the problem.

Good luck

If you found this post helpful click on the link below and vote for it. I want to win a coffee mug! s-)

There's a few browser errors being reported as warnings but that's all. nothing critical and it doesen't report the cut off's.
anything else?

another bunch of shots in the dark ...

If you are not getting errors is yor PC powering down like from inactivity? Some setting in power management that shuts down.

When you startup after a shutdown does the system ask to scan disk the drive? If not then I would guess it wasn't an error but some kind of controlled shut down.

IS the amount of time before shutdown always the same?

As far as this being heat related run the system with the cover off for awhile and see if the shutdown happeds in a different amount of time.

This one has me stumpted, specially since you are not getting errors.

If you found this post helpful click on the link below and vote for it. I want to win a coffee mug! s-)

I tried your suggestions above. and so far I haven't had any problems except now I keep getting this message in event viewer.

"The browser was unable to promote itself to master browser. The computer that currently believes it is the master browser is DFCK8211."

Does anyone know what this means? it shows up as an error in event viewer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back