Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

My computer RESTARTS by itself!!! WHY? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

onecatman

Technical User
Apr 4, 2003
US
My computer restarts it's self out of nowhere several times a day. I have scanned and scanned for viruses and have not found any. If anybody can help me fix this, please help!!!

Thank you muy mucho!
L. Turner
onecatman2002@yahoo.com

this problem may ba also caused when your ram memory is broken down or corrupted!
i had exactly the same problem with one of my workstations

change the ram memory and let me know if it helps
p.majcher@wp.pl

I think it is one of your Local IIS services which is failing and has the option of restarting the computer each time it fails to work properly.

Go to your control panel, open the IIS (computer management)

choose service (view in the extended mode) and then check each services property one by one and find out which is set to restart the computer on failure.

You can also do a diagonstic startup using msconfig from the run panel if you want to isolate the problem.

Look in Event Viewer - System Log for errors. The restart is probably due to the Startup and Recovery option thats tells XP to automatically restart upon system failure being set. To find this setting right-click on My Computer, select Properties, Advanced tab, Startup and Recovery Settings button.

I agree with "Freestone", also while in the Event Viewer check any "Information" line that mentions "savedump" and you should find reference to "recovered from a bug check". This is the Stop Error that caused your problem.

linney has brought up a good point...I found that on my event log..
but how to know what those numbers means and the minidump files are unreadable...

Any hint?

Start with going to eventid.net and search under the event id and source.

open your machine and see if any capacitors are bulging or have back stuff on top. For the past 2 years many motherboards have been failing due to BAD caps (everyone bought the cheapest parts available and consumers have been paying for it ever since

thats a link to one artical

here is another turn on this issue if it is not Hardware, Go to computer properties (right clik on MY Computer and click porpoerties) Go to advanced and Click on Start up and recovery, go to ststem Faillure then then remove the check mark for "Automatical Re-start"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back