Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

'My Computer' loads super-slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

shinyhappygav

Technical User
Sep 3, 2002
GB
I'm trying to reinstall windows xp, and everything is run sweetly.

I log into our domain, and it's all working fine (although a bit slow at logging in).

After I've installed a few things, all of a sudden, the 'My Computer' shortcut fails to work properly.

It takes about 5 minutes for the drive icons to pop up, and when they do, my network shares don't work.

This is connecting to a Windows 2000 server, and as I said, it was all working fine...

...even System Restore didn't fix the problem...

PLEASE HELP... THIS IS DRIVING ME NUTS

You have the classic symptoms of not having your DNS entries correctly entered into your TCP/IP properties, and/or a network autonegotiation failure:

thread779-540080

Thanks mate, but I tried everything mentioned in that thread that seemed likely... It sounded like a DNS error, but things still don't work, even after comparing values with the server and double checking.

I can live with the long log-in time, but My Computer is rather critical (obviously Windows Explorer does the same).

I appears to be network related, as when I remove the N/W cable My Computer immediately works again.

It worked initially when I installed the network drivers, and configured the domain, but since then this problem has occured.

Win98SE clients all work fine.

Now when I try to log on as someone else, it says that the domain cannot be found...??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back