Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

My computer keeps shutting down -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cenedra

Programmer
Jan 2, 2003
US
I think my computer is getting too hot and shuts down - it is supposed to do that.

However, it just started doing this all of the sudden.

I've got a Soyo Dragon motherboard, XP1800, and the proper fan.

I am also seeign something odd in my POST -

When it is detecting hardware, instead of it saying.. Secondary slave WD whatever, it is displaying a bunch of junk characters. I also got a checksum error and my BIOS was reset.

Is my motherboard starting to fail? The computer is totally unusable at this time and I'd like to fix it ASAP.

Your help is greatly apprecaited,
Cen

How many drives do you have in your system? If you have a WD as secondary slave and it has failed, your system could behave this way. Try removing the WD and seeing if the problem persists.

I dont have a hard drive as a secondary device, the WD was just an example.

but if it is showing junk in POST, in general, that manes my drive could be failing?

If you continue to have checksum errors replace the cmos battery.

I do continue to have the errors, thank you.

Any idea about the getting hot and shutting down?

Could internal dust do that? There was quite a bit and I told my roommate (this is her comptuer barfing) to clean it out - she seemed skeptical.

I think a small, older HD... but that really isn't my main issue - the main issue is that the machine is overheating and shutting down all of the sudden - I watch the temp rise in the BIOS until it shuts down -

unless this drive that is showing junk in POST on boot is causing some power flux or something.

IF YOUR CPU IS OVERHEATING, CHECK THE FAN RPM. IT SHOULD READ 59XX FAN SPEED.MAKE SURE U HAVE THE RIGHT FAN. CHECK THE CPU SETTING. VOLTAGE, FREQUENCY SETTING AND ETC. BUY INTEL FAN. SOME FAN IS LIKE MEMORY. BRAND DO MATTER.

I have an AMD chip, so buying an Intel fan is rather pointless....

I have bought a fan build for XP 2100+ - It was running fine, I run this fan (thermal Take Volcano) on my other AMD system, and it runs fine on that system too.

The RPM only gets up to around 4450, however, on this new fan I got (A Comp USA one). The Termal Take goes up to 5400 rpm - I suppose I could go get another Thermal Take and see if that is it.

How high is the temp when it shuts down?
Do you have cpu temp over heat monitoring set too low?

As suggested use the new fan you have, keep the sides off the case for ventillation and put the Temperature Ceiling to about 60C if its lower. How quickly does the temperate increase to shut down from the point of turning it on ?

I sujest that 60C is too low! especially for warmer climate and standard case setup (no extra fans)
You really need a couple of extra 80mm fans (one in the front drawing in cool air and one top back exhausting out.) I suspect at the moment the "stagnent air" in the case is just getting warmer and warmer. With good air threwput the air in the case is constantly being replenished with a cool outside supply.
I know I am pointing out the obvious but these socket "A" coolers can easily be fitted the wrond way around (180dgrees out) Cut out in the heatsink base must go over the raised "socket A" writing otherwise the heatsink will not sit squarely on the CPU core.
Again you MUST use a small amount of thermal paste between the raised core and heatsink base, without it the CPU will overheat! full stop.
With reasonable cooling, in a moderate climate, an XP1800 CPU usually max's in the high 40's C with idle temps in the middle 40'sC.
Of course the room temperature and location of the tower will play a big part in how hot it gets, allow plenty of room around the tower for air circulation, and don't stand the tower on a carpet (this can block the front intake vent) Martin
Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

I really advise you to reset the default BIOS settings.
In the BIOS there is an option like "reset defaults" or "load safe-settings". If you choose this then your sure that your cpy is running at the correct speed and voltage.

Test this to see if the system runs normal. After that check the settings in the BIOS on at a time and set them to the correct values.

You could damage your cpu when it overheates every time.

The computer is the best air cleaner in the house, as it constantly is processing air. DEFINITELY use an air can and clean out the cooling fins...this is in itself the best reason for the overheating.
Most troublesome, to me, is the gobbledygook feeding back from the BIOS. She has virus detection active and updated?
You may find a setting in the BIOS to clear NVRAM or something similar. Do that one. Also, I'd locate the latest stable flash and use it...although simply clearing the BIOS and invoking defaults may clear that up. If it doesn't, I'd insist on flashing the BIOS to see if this stops it.
IF IT DOESN'T, there's something seriously wrong with the BIOS chip itself which will in short order likely render the motherboard useless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back