Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

My computer is always restarting even if its in shutdown mode ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gregoire

Technical User
Dec 31, 2001
CA
I want to know how to fix thisproblem... If u think you can help me ! do it !

Thank you
Greg

Greg,

If the Windows98SE Shutdown Supplement is installed and not working correctly, the Fast Shutdown registry key may be enabled.

The Microsoft System Configuration utility includes an option to disable Fast Shutdown. If this option is unchecked in Windows 98 Second Edition, your system may reboot instead of shutting down.

To resolve this issue, backup the registry and/or export the following keys:
go to Start>Run, type regedit. Navigate to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Shutdown

Right-click on the FastReboot entry, choose modify and type in the number 0.

hehe

I fixed the problem but now I have another one...

It's not closing by itself...

I dunno why but it just stay in the "you can now close your computer " screen...

Greg

Some computers will shut down by themselves and some won't. It depends on individual BIOS. I assume from what you have revealed that it was shutting down for you before.

You might go into Device Manager and take a look to see if Advanced Power Management (APM) is still there. The easiest way is to right-click "My Computer" on your Desktop and select "Properties." Click the Device Manager tab, then go down and open up "System Devices." APM will likely be the very first listed there. If it is there, double-click on it and see if the statement, "This device is working properly," is there, and make sure "Disable in this hardware profile" is NOT checked. If all that looks okay, you might remove it, then go to "Add New Hardware" in your Control Panel and reinstall it.

NOTE: Before you go to the trouble of reinstalling, you might also go into your CMOS settings and see if APM hasn't been disabled there.

Try those and see if it works.
Butch

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back