Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

My Computer Hangs at "Applying Computer settings" for Win 2003 Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparrow8696

Technical User
Nov 22, 2006
CA
Hi all, I need some help. My computer currently at the moment is hanging at "applying computer settings" for Win 2003 Server. But the fact the suggestions made to other about this computer does not work for me. Cause I can not get into Safe Mode to make any changes or anything like that. I has been over 2 hours now trying to load and it still doesn't work when I restart the computer more than 2 times now (with each time powering it off for 10 minutes and letting it sit at this stage for 10 minutes long or more). Is this normal??? I am very stumped about this all. Please provide advice asap!! thx.

What happened before you rebooted? Is it a memeber server or a DC> What kind of hardware is it running?

By any chance did you change the domain membership of this computer? Try rebooting with the network connection disconnected. Once you are logged on, proceed to reboot again while re-connected to the network. Hope this helps.

Thank you all. I will try all the suggestions suggested here. In regards to DNS it falls in the category of router IP address (personalized), but I don't think that has anything to do with it. As for one thing I noted: it keep saying missing certain devices, even though all of them are install, it still says it is missing.

Still having troubles after I install service pak 1 for it. Now what? I am so forever stumped solving this problem.
It has wasted a lot of my time which I can be doing something more productive than this! Help!!!!!!

Sorry sparrow-now I'm lost. How did you install SP1 if you can't get past the applying screen?
I'd always be wary about putting on updates before figuring out what was wrong with a box first.
When you say it is 'Missing devices' is this in device manager?
Perhaps drivers have become corrupted somewhere?
Do you have something like a boot disk or Bart's PE disk to see if you can boot to that? At least then you might be able to check the hardware.
You can load it on and it won't write to the HD it loads the PE into RAM so is good for testing/checking things out.

If you boot from a w2003 disk Can you get to the recovery screen when you load W2003?

Do you have a UPS attached to this server? Do you have any APC UPS monitoring software running on this server? I seem to recall some APC software causing a problem like this.

All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure.
- Mark Twain

Well after a day of having the computer on, it finally got pass the "Applying Computer settings" screen. So I checked around the device manager and don't seem to see any missing devices to it. So I thought that installing SP1 will pick up any missing device drivers, etc...to make the machine run better. But obviously not so. So anyways after overcoming that "Applying Computer settings screen" now, I have left that computer on and not bother turning it off again. I still can't really figure out what is causing the delay of the load up. And as well I did not install any APC UPS monitoring software on this server of mine.

Sparrow-

I had this happen to me over a month ago.. I my case it was a Windows 2K member server running Lotus Notes Domino server on it.. to make a long story short, it was a service that would never truly "start" and would just sit there in "applying computer settings" mode .. so when you terminal service or stand at the console at this server.. this is all you'd see.. The only way I was able to identify this situation is thru using a product called Dameware.. it allowed me to remote control to this server and actually witness what service was hosing up the server at this stage. The Lotus notes service needed a password you would type in via a dos shell screen but the weird thing is that you could never see it using terminal server... I typed the password in thru Dameware and then it immmediately logged on after 2 days of waiting for this freaking this to get past "applying computer settings"... Ofcourse, I made sure that this service nows runs in automatic mode and that I removed the password prompt in order for the Lotus Notes service to start..

geranimo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back