Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

my computer empty?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

MungBean

IS-IT--Management
Nov 12, 2003
NL
Yep, as the title says, this is actually to try and help my girlfriends parents out..!!!!

Personally I would not go near ME :)

but its well odd, when she tries to open my computer it does open but there is absolutely nothing there.!!!!!! cant explore it or anything..!!!

Could this be anything to do with jscript reg settings or jscript.dll as I know this can cause similar sorts of things happening, but I really do not know, any info or help from someone who has experienced this would be most helpfull..!!!!

With the blank My Computer open does F5 do anything?
Right click on the My Computer icon, does the context
menu appear. If so what happens when Explore is picked?
In My Computer -View go through all the different selections.

Check for virus infection.

"Sometimes I do not know but I try hard"- R.F. Haughty 1923

Thank you for your reply.

If Explore is chosen it just sits there and you get the little very annoying torch just scanning and scanning but never finding anything.

If however you right click and explore my documents, this comes up fine and shows the my documents file, then if you navigate to my computer the same thing happens, just the little torch again.

They have told me that they have run virus updates and scanned the system and it has found nothing, but it seems likely to be a virus to me, I juat cant remember a virus that does this.>!!!!

It is very hard to speak them through this over the phone though, its ages since i been on a helpdesk :D

Cheers for that, I will give a couple of things from there a go, if that doesn't work I will suggest a more civilised operating system and be done with it :D

Cheers again....

Just another tip, if you haven't resolved this. Try having them boot to safe mode. If it works there, then there is some background application, driver, or process causing it. Reboot, install spybot, update it, and scan/remove all spywares. From there, run MSCONFIG, uncheck everything on the startup tab but systray, reboot, and check it out now.

If it won't work in safe mode, then the OS is damaged, and your best bet is to try system restore, and rollback the OS to a date before this happened.

Matt J.

Yeah I had to run system restore a couple of days ago and job done :)

I was hacking the reg about loads and thought i wasn't getting anywhere but restoring sys files worked just fine didn't expect it to though, knowing how damn flakey ME is :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back