Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

My computer doesn't come further than a black screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

josephine198

Technical User
Feb 12, 2004
NL
I've been away for a few days and others have probably been using it. it was acting weird when I came home today and it contained a few programs and activity I didn't recognize. I thought of a virus and tried to deinstall the weird programs called 'hotfix XP', of which there were 10 all at once. I restarted the pc after this, but the screen doesn't come further than black anymore, and after 15 seconds you can hear the machine starting all over again, and again, untill I cut the power. is this probably a virus or have I screwed it up all by myself by deleting the program? anyway, I'd really appreciate any help.

btw, I tried to reinstall XP but the process still running apparently doesn't go far enough to accept the cdrom.

moreover, the monitor has stopped displaying anything other than "no sync imput"
I'm using a computer at school now, but I really need the thing at home. I might annoy you cuz I don't know much of this stuff, but any help will is greatly appreciated.

I think hotfix XP is a good thing because I have the same thing on my pc. I believe they are windows updates that you install to protect your pc from hackers.

hotfix XP are the updates installed by microsoft when you do a windows update. Try going to the last good savepoint you have. Also try this forum779

micker377 advised you to reset the bios. This is probably good advise to start with. How to reset the bios depends on your computer. Usually you must remove the case cover and short two certain pins together. These pins should be identified in your Motherboard manual. You need to know the EXACT location of the pins. There are many such pins on most motherboards and you DO NOT want to short the incorrect ones. Once you locate them, (refer to your mother boards manual to be sure) use a jumper to short the pins together.

Once you've accomplished this reboot and you should get at least a post.

I can not emphasize enought how you should refer to your manual and make sure you have a good diagram of the motherboard which identifies the CMOS RESET (bios) pins.

Hope this helps.

S

To reset the bios:
Depending on the age of the computer (check your manual), you may have a "jumper" on the motherboard to "clear" the bios. If not, unplug the computer, remove the battery for a couple of hours - replace the battery and turn it back on. This should get you back on to go to the Windows Update site and check on updates needed. Sounds like you deleted too much.

clearing the bios didn't work, removing the video card did, I've got a visual now and I'm trying to reinstall XP on the D drive, as not to lose the inportant stuff on the C, where the problem probably is. I think micker is right that I deleted too much, as soon as I get in I'm going to first get the settings in the D drive updated, I'll try and keep the D master and if it works I'll try getting the C as a slave, and get the important stuff out of there. I don't think the appearance of faults in the C will keep the pc from working if it's just a slave. will they?
am I doing it right this way?

this problem has been solved, thanks everyone for your help. [medal]

now I have a different problem, I can't access my old files anymore and it looks like the folder that should contain them is empty.
In other words: oh crap. [evil]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back