Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

My computer can't see others computers in network neigborhood 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paco75

Programmer
Oct 11, 2001
US
Hi there,

I got a network at home made of 2 Pc on win98 se and a stand alone server running win 2000. All are linked to a small D-Link Cable/DSL router.

I was able to see other computer since yesterday! But now only the other computer and the server can see my PC and acces my files. From my computer I can see neither the other PC or the server... and I can go on the web!

I've pigned the PC and the Server from the blind PC and ping respond correctly...

if someone have an advice or a tip to solve this! I will be glad :)

thanks

Check that the client for Microsoft networks is in the network control panel, and also that the workgroup name is set correctly to match that in the other PC's.

John

The client for microsoft networks is present and the workgroup name is also correct...

Have you checked the WINS settings on the 2000 server and the setting for the WINS server in Network neighborhood on the 98 machine?

Mitmont

Sounds like Master Browser issues. It can take up to 2 hours for your computers to be seen again. You need to setup your Windows 2000 Server to be the Master Browser. See faq96-3728 for some info on it.

"In space, nobody can hear you click..."

Are you using IP on your home network? If you have a static IP set on the two PCs make sure the network part is the same as the server and other PC.

Where can I find the "Browser Monitor" they are talking about in the FAQ96-3728?

It's part of the Windows NT or higher Resource Kits. Look for "Browmon.exe".

In Windows NT it was called BROWSTAT.EXE (DOS version) and I think from 2000 and up it's not BROWMON.EXE.

The Resource Kit must be purchased. It's not a free tool. If you have a subscription to MSDN, then you should have the Resource Kits included.

"In space, nobody can hear you click..."

If you can Ping, the other PCs, from this computer, it means that your TCP is configured correctly and that you do not have an IP address problem.

Since you have a windows 2000 + 2 windows 98 PCs, The question is, Is windows 2000 the domain controller or are you running everything on a workgroup level. All 3 computers must be running either in a workgroup or in a domain.

***Also make sure you enabled Printer and file sharing on the windows 2000 computer.***

I can now see other computers... the problem dissapeared as he appeared... out of the blue! I don't know why! Anyway thanks for helping!

I will try to set up my server as the Master Browser later... when I will buy Win 2000 Ressources Kit.

Thanks again

You might want to include NETBUI as a protocol. It seems to help systems keep track of what is hooked to the pipe.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back