Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

My company has a firewall. Can't access outside e-mail

Status
Not open for further replies.

johngenady

Technical User
Jul 7, 2001
US
Any ideas how to bypass

try changing your IE home page to yahoo.com This will help bypass your proxy settings. I use this method all the time, it's 90% effective.

Firewalls are designed to block ports, IP Addresses and hosts that are not authorized. If you're trying to use POP I am sure that port (110) is blocked at your Co Firewall. The only way to bypass this would be to pass your information down an open port. This will involve having your POP provider setting up their POP service to run on the same port. Since POP is standard (110) chances are they will not change the port address. I know excite.com does offer a service to check pop addresses if you open up an account with them you can check other mail, usually these "Other Mail" options are POP3 Servers. Excite will go out to your POP3 mail server and check for new e-mail. If you Co allows internet browsing you may be able to go to excite open up an account and check your external e-mail on the port 80 (http) connection.

david e
*end users are just like computers, some you can work with...others just need a simple reBOOTing to fix their problems.*

You can cheat, but it is not as flexible.

Use your browser and go to and key in your details. Then you can see the emails in your POP box and can view, read, print and reply to them.

No need to compromise the firewall either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back