Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

My company are concerned about VPN security

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 19, 1999
GB
Visit site
As an IT department, we'd like to sell the move over to a VPN to the board of directors, we are quite a small company with 2 main sites and 4 remote depots. At present, we have fixed lease lines between all remote depots and the main site. <br>
The main concern of the board is the issue of security, when using the internet for our Remote connections. <br>
We are intending to use PSINet and an Extended Systems VPN Server.<br>
<br>
Has anyone had to cover the security issue regarding a VPN in laymen terms, I'm having a little trouble knocking out the technical detail.<br>
A link to a good site on the subject would also be a huge help.<br>
Thanks in advance for anyone who takes the time to respond<br>
<br>
Phil

You might want to condsider SecurID from Security Dynamics as a Solution for Security. It uses a Dynamic Passcode that changes every 60 Seconds on an LCD display of a Security card, that allows users access to your network. As far as Passwords go, you can't get any more secure. <br>
<br>
If you don't have one already, you will definetely need a firewall, or some sort of sophisticated routing device that can screen IP packets as they hit your company's network. One good one is from Cyberguard in Ft Lauderdale, FL.<br>
<br>
Hope this helps<br>
<br>
Jon C

Appreciate the advice Jon. I've had to learn quickly over the last couple of months.<br>
I'll definitely take a look at the Dynamic passcode option...sounds good.<br>
<br>

Check out &quot;CheckPoint&quot; FireWall, stop people from coming in and MS Proxy Sever, stop people from leaving your LAN<br>
<br>
Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back