Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

My client is trying to run my app on citrix....

Status
Not open for further replies.

jenlion

IS-IT--Management
Nov 13, 2001
I have a client that tried to run my local-run app on Citrix. I found out today (after returning from vacation) that they are having problems with it.

I don't know much about Citrix, and I'm not really a great programmer -- I just occasionally need to write a little app to get something done. In this case, the app accepts a few things (username, password, database name, server name) and uses oledb to get a bunch of info from a sql db. That info is then put into a txt file. I also put the info into an excel sheet that I display when done. The path of the text file is hard coded at c:\(path) by their instruction.

Works great locally. Doesn't work at all over citrix. I have the unhappy emails from the customer that I will have to call tomorrow. All they say is that it is an "Activex object error". I know I need to get more detail from them, but really, I'm not going to have anything to give them -- I have no idea. I wrote it thinking it would be run from a regular client, not citrix, so I have no idea what I need to do from a programming perspective to make it work.

I'm fairly certain these guys would have reinstalled the app using the shared-program method (I think in citrix / TS you have to install through add/remove programs in a certain mode). They are on server 2003. They say "citrix" but I'm not sure they aren't using just plain old terminal server and still calling it citrix -- have to find out.

In the meantime, can someone tell me where I might start looking for the problem?? Thanks....

Do they have excel installed on the server that runs Citrix? Or even MDAC? They will need to have all of the components of your application installed on the Citrix server in order to run it from there...

They do, because they are able to run it beautifully from the server itself. It's only when they connect remotely that they get the error. They aren't trying to run it on more than one session at a time, either (yet)....

Thanks

Sounds like some files are being registered under the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE hive instead of HKEY_CURRENT_USER hive. This means that when a remote user tries to run it, it can't find the registered component.

I would look at your setup program, and how it installs your COM components.

Chip H.

I can't send because the extraction method is pretty private -- this is for getting bank ACH information out of a database. My company wouldn't like me showing even which tables/fields are involved.

But, I am using just the regular package & deployment wizard that comes with VB6 (I'm using SP5). I did absolutely nothing special with the package.

I appreciate the offer and I wish I could send it! But, do you know of anything in particular I can check? I have written plenty of basic (not-terribly-complex, I mean) programs and used the wizard to create, but I haven't ever needed to mess with any settings there.

Thanks!

I think ChipH is trying to say that YOU should look at YOUR setup program and see if it is registering the components under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE or HKEY_CURRENT_USER

Regards

Frederico Fonseca
SysSoft Integrated Ltd

I haven't used the P&DW in years -- it had too many limitations. This may have been one of them (don't remember).

I would suggest you look at buying the Wise or InstallShield setup tools, as they can write to the correct part of the registry.

Chip H.

Try this with special emphasis on paragraph 5.

"Life is full of learning, and then there is wisdom"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back