Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

My CD drive disappeared 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

amberlynn

Programmer
Dec 18, 2003
CA
I have an older PC, with Win 98 SE. I installed a network card, and when it restarted, I received an error message "Your multifunction device (Intel 823.... Bus Master IDE Controller) has some devices using 32-bit drivers and others using compatibility-mode drivers. This configuration is not supported, so your computer has been halted to prevent corruption..."
When I continued, I no longer have a CD drive. It's not showing up in My Computer at all.
Any suggestions how I can fix this??
Thanks!
Amber

When I try to reinstall the drivers for the primary or secondary IDE controllers by pointing to C:\SEIN\WIN98, it says that the most recent drivers are already installed.

I did the ENUM key deletion way back when you first suggested it.

I will try the Intel install again.

Thanks!
Amber

A couple of other things you need to consider:

If your machine came with a M/B CD the proper drivers for the hardware would be on it.

If you download the Belarc Advisor and run it, the M/B manufacturer and board part number will be listed along with the chipset.

With the M/B manufacturer and board part number you can generally download the individual chip drivers from the M/B manufacturer's website.

And if the M/B site is no help there is a website that might be a resource. You probably would access it via a google search for Intelpart# and driver.

I assume that you can delete the problem IDE controllers. You could delete them then do a manual install from add hardware but that is for later.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

I ran the Belarc Advisor, and the system is:

System: iNET pro computer system

Board: ASUSTek Computer Inc.
TX97-E Rev 1.x

I tried searching ASUS website, but can't make sense of what I need to download for drivers.

Cheers,
Amber

download tab
tx97-e in model
drivers in request box
start search
click on tx97-e
all tab
intel driver set is first in the list
try the USA download site
save it somewhere on the drive

Ed Fair

I downloaded and installed the files from the ASUS site.
On reboot, a bunch of drivers were reinstalled, but froze up on the PCI Universal Serial Bus - Standara OpenHCI USB Host Controller again.

Rebooted and skipped installing this driver, and back to where I was -

Primary IDE Controller & Secondary both have yellow exclamation marks, but if I try to update their drivers, it says they are using the most current.

I have 2 direct memory access controllers, and one has a yellow exclamation mark.

The Universal Serial Bus doesn't show any yellow exclamation marks, but still tries to install drivers every time I reboot.

Still do CD drive, just the C: and D: drives (which I believe are just 1 partitioned drive...

Cheers,
Amber

For now I'm out of suggestions on how to get the primary and secondary controllers to install correctly.

You could attempt to use the DOS based set of drivers in your config.sys and autoexec.bat. It will complain and may choke but that is the way it was set up in your original autoexec.bat, and by guess, probably in the config.sys.
would use the windows versions of some and the bootdisk versions of others, somewhat like:
CONFIG.SYS
device=c:\windows\himem.sys
device=c:\windows\emm386.exe noems
dos=high,umb
device=c:\loader\oakcdrom.sys /d:mscd001

AUTOEXEC.BAT
c:\windows\command\mscdex /d:mscd001 /v

You can boot it up off the step by step and verify that the oak driver is the one that finds the controller with 1 CD and the name of the driver assigned
then the autoexec.bat should show the same driver and the drive identifier. At that point you should have a CD. I did this on on a gateway here and it comes up as described.

There are times when you beat your head against a pole because if feels so good when you quit.

No answer for the USB. Possibly a BIOS setting to disable it? Is the USB on the M/B or on an expansion card?

Ed Fair

Ed and amberlynn,

Thanks for the education. This reads like a good drama, a poignant dialogue between a mentor and a pupil. I truly hope it has a happy ending. Best of luck to you both.

wahnula

Come on guys, isn't about time for a total re-install? I know it sounds defeatist, but this should sort out your problems.

An "over the top" or a re-install are options but they require some answers first:
1) Is this a installable 98 or an upgrade?
2) Does the user have their data backed up? External?
3) Why isn't the hard drive FAT16 or FAT32?
4) What are the issues with the Intel chipset?

From the bottom:
4) If the drivers won't install from the existing implementation there is a good possibility they won't install from a new install. The installer stuff works correctly or the ENUM rebuild would have failed so it appears to be board, chipset, or another basic issue we have overlooked and whatever it is will probably bite again.
3) A reinstall on a non-standard filesystem may corrupt whatever is in place and take everything into oblivion.
2) The original problem was with installing a network card and, I suspect, an easy way to get data backed up. Until the backup happens anything involving the core operating system puts the data at risk.
1) Haven't asked the question yet. The system evidently started as a DOS, then possibly an overlay to get more room, with a 95 or 98 put on top.

After one ex-customer's estimated $40K data recovery effort I don't advise anything risky until there is a viable recovery plan. Didn't in that case either, but sometimes you can't stop people from doing stupid things.

Ed Fair

The compatibility-mode drivers might be loading from the DOSSTART.BAT or the SYSTEM.INI. Maybe even the WIN.INI Load or Run line.Might be worth having a look there.

Is it possible to remove the drive and slave it to another system for data recovery?

Ed, you don't suppose installing another OS and creating a dual-boot system would work as a short term method to get up if she had the space to do so? Probably a "crap-shoot"

Don't mean to jump in on your thread...just adding my 2 cents for what ever it's worth.

Thanks. It isn't my thread, it belongs to Amberlynn. I'm offering what advice I can based on several similar issues on customers machines and the grief involved in getting them working. And although I haven't thanked wahnula and kestrel1 for their inputs, they are appreciated too.

The original error message about compatibility mode probably was from MSCDEX being called in the autoexec.bat with no driver and tag from config.sys. Suspicion is that the network driver installation munged the config.sys and deleted the line.

I would be leery about slaving it with the parentage questions. If bootdisk can't recognize it I would expect that a clean install system wouldn't be able to see it either.
If I had my hands on it I might try ghosting it and experimenting with the ghosted drive. And now that the 98 install stuff is available on the hard drive I would make an emergency boot disk and see if it worked. I would expect an EBD to honor any special partition mods, although I've never tried to prove that it really does.

Installing another operating system would probably force partitioning. I would go cautiously. The over the top rewrites some of the stuff in root and that is why I also urge caution with that option.

This potentially was a dual boot, DOS & SE machine based on the contents of config & autoexec. Possibly even a DOS to 95 to SE conversion. I haven't asked any questions that might clarify that as it would needlessly open another can of worms.

If you see any flaw in my logic or thought processes call them to my attention. Keep in mind however that the overriding issue was data preservation. I almost screwed it up with the ENUM removal without having the drivers on the hard drive but got it pulled back from the brink.

Ed Fair

Step 1: Start Registry Editor
Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK. Registry Editor starts.
Step 2: Delete the UpperFilters registry entry
1. In Registry Editor, expand My Computer, and then expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
2. Expand SYSTEM, and then expand CurrentControlSet.
3. Expand Control, and then expand Class.
4. Under Class, click {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.
5. In the right pane (topic area), click UpperFilters.

Note An UpperFilters.bak registry entry may also appear. To delete the UpperFilters registry entry, you must click UpperFilters and not UpperFilters.bak.
6. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
7. When you receive the following message, click Yes to confirm the deletion of the UpperFilters registry entry:
Are you sure you want to delete this value?
The UpperFilters registry entry is removed from the {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} registry subkey.

Note Do not exit Registry Editor. You must have this program for the next step.
Step 3: Delete the LowerFilters registry entry
1. In Registry Editor, expand My Computer, and then expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
2. Expand SYSTEM, and then expand CurrentControlSet.
3. Expand Control, and then expand Class.
4. Under Class, click {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.
5. In the right pane (topic area), click LowerFilters.

Note An LowerFilters.bak registry entry may also appear. To delete the LowerFilters registry entry, you must click LowerFilters and not LowerFilters.bak.
6. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
7. When you receive the following message, click Yes to confirm the deletion of the LowerFilters registry entry:
Are you sure you want to delete this value?
The LowerFilters registry entry is removed from the {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} registry subkey.
8. Exit Registry Editor.

Step 4: Restart the computer
If a CD recording program no longer works after you restart the computer, you must reinstall the CD recording program.

That is a very good solution for XP provided that the primary and secondary IDE channels are working and the entries are there.
Unfortunately, Amberlynn has 98 and her primary and secondary IDE channels don't load the correct drivers to be able to see the CD.

Ed Fair

The data pathway over which information flows in the IDE/ATA interface is called a channel.IDE channels use resources they do not provide them.Most operating systems and other software "know" about the two IDE connectors on the motherboard, and software problems or resource conflicts with them are rare.

Most operating systems and programs don't know about the two IDE connections. Programs other than ones involving direct control of the chipset or attempting control of the devices hooked to the connectors operate through calls to disk I/O operations in the operating system. The operating system doesn't know about them, only about ports that are normally assigned to function with that type of connector.
And they don't know what is really there until they find them during a hardware search and 1) load the appropriate drivers for use now and 2) create an entry in a database to tell it to use them the next time the system boots up.

And a personal note: Your post about the filters appears to be a cut and paste of a Microsoft Technote. The preferred practice is to indicate the source when you do that.

Ed Fair

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back