Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

My Background Won't Change

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrafSpee

Technical User
Feb 23, 2002
US
Okay...why can't i change my background screen on my 98se machine? I right click and "Set as background" is not highlighted. I go to display properties and I cannot chose or even browse through some of window's backgrounds. So no new backgrounds for me. Im sure its just a little switch somewhere, but I can't find it. Anyone know the answer?

Does anything at all appear in the “Wallpaper” list in the “Display Properties” box? Have you tried using the “Browse” button in “Display Properties” to set a graphic as wallpaper? Is “Active Desktop” enabled?

When something like this happens it usually is caused by a corrupted file.
You can check this by clicking Start/Run type in sfc.exe
If the scan finds any corrupted files you will be prompted for the Windows CD or whatever CD the program originated from.
Take control of your life, not someone else's

I tried scanning but no corruption of any files were found.

When I go to Display Properties, a list of availiable backgrounds are shown, but I can't select or scroll through the list. To the right of the list, the browse, pattern, and display selections are all grayed out so that I cannot select them.

To the best of my knowledge Active Desktop is not enabled, that was my first assumption too though.

Has anyone ever experienced this before? It's odd imo. Maybe it's a virus...

You could try an over-the-top reinstall of Windows, it might help, to do this with Windows98 SE:
1)From the Windows desktop, close any open applications, then hold down the CTRL+ALT+Delete keys (all at once) until the “Close Programs” dialogue appears close any and every thing that is still running EXCEPT “Explorer” you might have to open the “Close Program” box a number of times to do this.
2) Put your Windows installation CD in the PC, when the “Windows98 CD-ROM window opens click on “Browse this CD”, double click “setup.exe” and follow the on-screen instructions.

i am guessing this worked since no reply since the info was given; ive done this from dos and from booting to the cd and from cab files on the hd. never from windows as u noted:
<glad it worked>, i wonder if it makes any difference?

also, im told ms doesnt recommend this, altho ive had it work beautifully, as it doesnt write over the files but instead gives u two of each, is this factual? i dont see two on the hd...

also have been told me was made TO do this. of course, not xp,nt,2k, etc.

does anyone have the facts?

thanks

:-Q x->

Have you gone to Add/Remove programs - Windows Setup and made sure the Desktop Themes is checked?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back